Notices

6 pack abs

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default 6 pack abs

i have been trying to get a 6 pack for quite a while. I have added lots of protein to my diet but i still cannot get the 6 pack abs u see in the movies. They are visable but the lines going across me abs are not as viasble as i want them. I swim 6 times a week with a 50minute weight session once per week. Anyone got any tips to help me?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Do you do any actual ab/core work? Since your abs are visible, that means your body fat is fairly low, you don't need to lose much more weight. Depends on how visible you want them. For men, the upper abs become visible at 12% bodyfat. To see the lower abs, you'll need to get below 10%. It will also depend on exactly where and how you store fat at the waist.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

Jillian Michaels - 6 Weeks Six Pack
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Do you do any actual ab/core work? Since your abs are visible, that means your body fat is fairly low, you don't need to lose much more weight. Depends on how visible you want them. For men, the upper abs become visible at 12% bodyfat. To see the lower abs, you'll need to get below 10%. It will also depend on exactly where and how you store fat at the waist.
My lower abs are not visible at all but the upper abs are visible. At the moment i have a 4 pack with not much of a line down the middle
Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Tunnrida
Jillian Michaels - 6 Weeks Six Pack
to be honest i dont particularly want to buy anything that will help me apart from nutrition
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

First off, sorry for crashing the guy's forum. If you stick around long enough, you'll see that we tend to not really pay strict attention to the men's and women's distinction.

Anyway, my first thought was that your post reminded me that I've seen some articles, etc. about the swimmer's body fat mystery...that despite the exertion and calories expended, swimmers have a higher body fat percentage than most other athletes and AFAIK no one's explained it with certainty. But it's not something that I've really dug into, so maybe someone else has some more insight or knowledge.

That being said, maybe swapping in some "land-based" cardio, and increasing your weight work, might get you the results you're looking for.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Some people will NEVER get the bottom two "abs" to show. The abdominal muscle is actually just one long muscle with separation to give the appearance of six smaller ones.

Anyway, back on point. You may need to lower your body fat, or, depending on your genetics, you could get down to 7% body fat and still only have a "4 pack" visible.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks im working on my diet i consume around 150g of protein on a good day.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Protein is just part of the equation. Are your Carbs and Fat in balance? What is your daily calorie deficit? As those above suggested you will need to lose some bodyfat % to make your abs pop. What are you doing for weights? I suggest you do core movements like squats and deadlifts as well as hanging leg lifts to work your core. I have read of bodybuilders that never specifically work abs because they get worked when doing other core movements.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

put things in perslective =] i'd envy the fact that you've got a 4 pack, and i just have a chunk of lard, protecting my abs from exposure to the world...

I don't know how it's done, but if you can share how you've gotten your 4pack, please let everyone know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.