Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Nutrition & labeling
KETO DIET- I know I'm doing something wrong! Please help!! >

KETO DIET- I know I'm doing something wrong! Please help!!

Notices
View Poll Results: will i achieve my goal weight of 57.5-58 by Christmas?
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

KETO DIET- I know I'm doing something wrong! Please help!!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM
FitDay Member

Angry KETO DIET- I know I'm doing something wrong! Please help!!

Hi guys! i really need some help. i got on the keto diet 5 days ago and never have i been so hungry and never have i felt so nauseas and tired!

brief overview:
i'll be 24 in a few months
height: 171cm
weight 59kg
goal weight: 57.5-58 (hopefully by Christmas!)

I have been training for about 2.5 years, but have been into it religiously (5-6 times a week) over the last 13 months.

i do weight training 3 days a week (which includes about 20 mins of cardio to warm up before hand) and 2 days of full cardio training, and i usually play a sport or go to the gym on Sundays..

before i got onto this keto diet i was following a no carb, no sugars but lots of protein diet.. didnt really do much. then i started having minimal carbs for breakfast and a balanced diet which consisted of fruits, veggies, proteins and healthy fats and then i lost about 3 kilos in 3 months. i was limiting myself to 1200 calories/day (BEFORE exercise and i was ok with this)

so anyway, since ive been on keto for 5 days, ive been trying to stick to my 1200 calorie rule and this is not helping! my calorie breakup is 70% fats, 25% proteins and 5% carbs. I always make sure my carb intake is about 20grams.

i cant train hard at the gym now because im dizzy and light headed. i have no energy and am so hungry. i ate 1500 calories in total today (carbs came up to 22grams) and im STILL hungry.

I know i'm doing something wrong, and i really need help. i need to determine if i should persevere until Christmas or if i should just go back to my old ways.

also, before keto i was still eating 1200 calories before exercise so i wouldn't count the calories burnt off during training, and i was fine, but i got on keto because i kept reading that bodybuilders go on it to strip their last bit of fat, and i still have 20% bodyfat and this is rather annoying!!! i eat so well and yet have such a high figure (for someone who eats clean and trains as hard as i do this is high!)

so please, any advice will be good advice!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

You are dizzy and nauseated because you are not consuming enough carbohydrates to fuel your brain and workouts. What are you training for that you only eat 1200 calories?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think frenchhen has a good point (she often does ).

I could also add that your body may be sending you a signal that it's time to slow down. It is harder to lose when you are at a "normal" weight to begin with, and it looks from your stats that your BMI is about 20 (converting, you are about 5'7" and 130 lbs). So no matter what diet you use, it will be harder to drop additional pounds.

I know it sounds paradoxical, but try adding a couple hundred calories and you may be surprised at how it improves your overall calorie burn. A couple years ago, I got to my goal weight using 1200-1300 calories, but when I started maintaining, I went up to 1400-1500 and I continued to lose weight...like 10 more pounds. Although I will clarify that I use a balanced pie chart, not low carb.

Bottom line? If it works for you, do it. if it doesn't, don't. We are all different and half the battle is finding out what works for you personally.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
You are dizzy and nauseated because you are not consuming enough carbohydrates to fuel your brain and workouts. What are you training for that you only eat 1200 calories?
yes i thought so but i have been reading up on the keto diet and they say to keep counting calories. i just dont know how much i need to eat as i ate 1500 today and i was still hungry.

and i am aware that i train and need to eat more but i thought i would be fine on 1200 because i was doing that before, but i guess carbs makes a huge difference!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

What is your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) or Lifestyle Calories as FITDAY refers to them on the Activity tab? How many calories are you burning from your exercise? What is your deficit? As Frenchen and Cassie said, you obviously are not getting what your body needs through your current diet.

Your dedication to your exercise is great. I do have a question about your weight training? What kind of sets and repetitions are you doing. Most women that are willing to pick up the weights have a unrealistic fear of becoming bulky and so they do relatively light weights with high repetitions (anything greater than 10). While this improves endurance it does not build muscle fiber like lifting heavy. Lifting with weights appropriate so failure, the inability to perform another movement with good form, is acheived in the 4-6 range will build your muscle (some of which you lose when dieting) and maintain or increase your BMR. This will help you decrease your bodyfat % instead of muscle.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hello,

First off, you are an active person and you play sports; regardless of you wanting to do KETO or not or what your opinions or mine may be, I can tell you right now that KETO Diet is not the best diet for you and your goals. Less carbs mean less fuel to fuel your sports and fuel your weight training. High FAT means it takes a longer time to break down your food and digest it slowing your body's ability to use it for fuel quickly such as lifting weights and playing sports that require high intensity. Your tired (Lethargic) because you are low on carbs. If you don't believe me, try cooking up some oatmeal about mid day when your feeling like crap, and I am willing to bet after 15 or so minutes your going to feel better...

Now to answer some questions, use your fitday account to track these macros.

You said you were at 1200cal diet on KETO, so your carb ration is lower then the normal 10%, but based off what you said your percentages are you would be looking to hit these macros each day...

GRAMS per day at 1200 total cals each day
15g Carbs (60 cals from carbs)
75g Protein (300 cals from protein)
93g Fat (840 cals from fat)

GRAMS per day at 1500 total cals each day
18g Carbs (75 cals from carbs)
93g Protein (375 cals from protein)
116g Fat (1050 cals from fat)

These are the macros you would have to hit based off your percentage and total amount of calories you mentioned.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by befit1989
brief overview:
i'll be 24 in a few months
height: 171cm
weight 59kg
goal weight: 57.5-58 (hopefully by Christmas!)
Hi Befit, your question caught my eye because I'm interested in keto. I hope this isn't out of line, but you are already quite slender and you are trying to get even slender-er. I hope that this is because you are a bodybuilder/figure model, and not because you have a partner/significant other who is telling you that you are too "fat," and if you only lost a few pounds/gained some muscle/etc. you'd be acceptable. Because you know, that never ends. You can get down to your goal weight and then the person will just find something else to find fault with, because it's not about your weight, it's about their judging you and finding you lacking.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

Long term ketosis does not work for everyone. If you’re truly hungry, your body is telling you something, learn to listen and feed it.
Have you tried
- leptin reset protocols
- periodic carb re-feeds
- cold therapy
- intermittent fasting
- 16/8h eating window
- Shorter, higher intensity anabolic workouts (definition) and on rest days with what runners call “base building” slow long runs (exercises fat metabolism pathways). No intentional aerobic exercise.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

Default Diet Recycling

Hello All,

I have been using Fitday for some time but this is my first post.

I didn't even know what the "keto" diet was so I had to look it up. Turns out it's a remnant of the training diet that was common when I was body building in the early 80's. Personally, I have to go high protein, low carb to lose any weight but not to an extreme.

When working out, the carbs have to come first and then after. With extreme low carb, the result in inevitable.. dizzy, nausea, etc. You still use the carbs to support your workout but even fewer makes it tough.

Personally, I spent years trying to get "cut" and realized that while I had tremendous muscles, there was no way my body type was going to give up that fat necessary to see my six pack abs.

Now I'm old and trying to get back in to shape and I would be happy just knowing I had six pack abs even if they were under a half an inch of fat!

My suggestion would be to check out bodybuilding.com if you haven't already done so. There's more information on variables, timing, cycling and a couple of interesting calculators that might be helpful.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Having trouble calculating... not sure what my numbers are. Any help?
5'8 female, 171lbs,
moderatly active - goal 155

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.