Notices

Have you gotten rid of old clothes??

Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default Have you gotten rid of old clothes??

I would like to clean out my closet to make room for my new sized clothes, but I can't seem to convince myself to get rid of the old ones. I have gone from a size 12/14 to a 4/6 and own all sizes in between. I look at all my larger sized clothes and think, "What about when I gain some weight back and I need them?" I don't ever want to be that size again, but can't convince myself that I will be able to maintain this lower weight....(I've been here before).

So, have you gotten rid of your old clothes? Did you donate them, or just store them in a bin to keep "just in case"? How did you convince yourself to do it? I guess I need some motivation to not be afraid to dump them.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

I have gone up and down a few times in the last ten years...............So I have stored the bigger sizes. Trying harder this time to not go back up. Sorry no motivation here I can't get rid of mine either.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Donate them! I donated mine as soon as I had to by a smaller size.

Having my jeans get a little snug makes me get back on track asap because I refuse to buy a bigger size. If I had my old ones it would be way too easy to wear them "just" until I got back on track.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Go ahead and donate the largest sized clothes.I think that would probably make you feel better about getting rid of some of the clothes that don't fit you any more.Keeping something that is a size up is one thing,but you don't need to hold on to everything.
Besides, someone else can use them.And clothes do go out of style.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

Donate them. Think of the closet space you will free up. Having nothing that fits is a great motivator once you have gotten rid of the old clothes. Save one size larger for those heavy days but toss the rest.

I'm finally back on fitday after having a bad few months. One of the main reasons is my fall wardrobe that fits is severely lacking and I refuse to buy new clothes when I have lots that will fit me if I lose a few pounds.

I saved maybe 3 items that I loved. You could also save your largest outfit just to show yourself what you have accomplished and where you never want to be again.

Keeping it off is hard. Having no larger clothes is a great motivator.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone!! I think I am going to try this in stages. Get rid of some of the biggest clothes first. Wait for a little more motivation, get rid of more....and so on, working my way down in size. I like the thought that by the time I fit in the clothes again they will be out of style.

I don't think I should hang onto them (in storage) like I was originally thinking. Too easy to backslide.

Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
Donate them...I saved maybe 3 items that I loved. You could also save your largest outfit just to show yourself what you have accomplished and where you never want to be again...
I don't have the extra space to keep things that don't fit. I get rid of them as I shrink, but did keep something from my largest size. I decided to make it the outfit that I liked the LEAST...even more motivation for never going back!

(If you are a lady I would suggest saving 2-3 outfits that are one size up for those potential "bloated" days though! )

Last edited by 4.a.healthier.me; 10-21-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by liberatedmist
Thanks everyone!! I think I am going to try this in stages. Get rid of some of the biggest clothes first. Wait for a little more motivation, get rid of more....and so on, working my way down in size. I like the thought that by the time I fit in the clothes again they will be out of style.

I don't think I should hang onto them (in storage) like I was originally thinking. Too easy to backslide.

Thanks again!
I got rid of mine in stages too. First the things that were too big, and not particularly becoming in the first place. Then the rest of the size 12's. I hung on to the 10s for a while, even had a few of my favorites tailored, but I shrunk out of those too.

When I hit the 1 year mark I eliminated the 10s. Many were pretty old and a bit out of style. I was a size 8 for a little while, but I didn't buy too many new things, mostly made do. By the time I hit size 6 I had some pretty nice new stylish pieces. Some I have had altered and still wear, some still fit OK on my size 2 - 4 frame. And the others I have hung on to even though they don't really fit. I figure if I "balloon" back to a size 6 that's probably OK.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

Get rid of them!. You changed sizes, change your mindset. Don't set yourself up to fail. They are just clothes and they have no feelings. YOU have feelings. GET RID OF THEM. You got rid of the old habits that made you that size to begin with, you know you don't want to go back so get rid of the motivation to fail. By getting rid of the clothes you turn your back on the old you and become the new you.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I got rid of mine in stages too. First the things that were too big,....

When I hit the 1 year mark I eliminated the 10s. Many were pretty old and a bit out of style. I was a size 8 for a little while, but I didn't buy too many new things, mostly made do. By the time I hit size 6 I had some pretty nice new stylish pieces. Some I have had altered and still wear, some still fit OK on my size 2 - 4 frame. And the others I have hung on to even though they don't really fit. I figure if I "balloon" back to a size 6 that's probably OK.
Congratulations! What a motivating story of your weight loss and size changes. It's been helpful. I've been having a hard time staying on the loosing track and your time frame is keeping it real for me.

Last edited by judyjonesjudy; 10-25-2012 at 02:28 AM.