Notices

always hated fish, but wanting to try again

Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 AM

Default always hated fish, but wanting to try again

i have never liked fish (except canned tuna). i hate the smell of it. i hate the texture of it. but in the pictures of low cal/low carb recipes, it always looks so good. and i have to pass up so many healthy recipe options that have fish as the main protein.

so my question is, for someone who doesn't like the overpowering fishy smell in the house or the flaky, soft texture of some fishes, what fish should i try? what kind of flavor/texture does tilapia have? i've heard people rave about how good it is, but i'm skeptical to try it. also, i don't grill. i have to be able to cook it in a pan on the stove top or bake it in the oven. it would be super helpful to not just say "try x"...i'm really hoping to get descriptions of the flavors and textures. i've only found one fish in the past that i tolerated well and that was halibut, and i ate it out at a restaurant and have no idea how to cook it or where to buy it. it had more of a firmer texture like other types of meat and the flavor was not fishy, but very mild.

any help that will get me on the fish bandwagon would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

I love halibut and salmon. Fish is super easy to prepare, just pop in the oven with some pepper and lemon. Halibut is also nice baked with some salsa on top of it. I don't find either particulalry fishy and they have a nice firm texture if cooked properly.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

I really like tilapia. It is a mild clean fish. I like to bake it in the oven with just lemon pepper seasoning sprinkled over it.

We had baked haddock last night. It is fishier though. Hubby just sprinkled some paprika on it and baked it. I thought it was delicious but it is a flaky fish that you may not like.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

If your supermarket doesn't sell fresh halibut, see if they have it frozen. Go to a Trader Joe's, if you have one in your area - they have lots of frozen fish. They also sell lots of marinades that you can use on fish before you bake it - something Asian might change your mind about all kinds of fish.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 AM

jen, april, kathy, thank you for your ideas so far! halibut might be first on my list. if i could eat it at a restaurant, then maybe i could actually make it too. i really like the idea about using an asian marinade.

anyone else out there have good ideas like these?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
Go to a Trader Joe's, if you have one in your area - they have lots of frozen fish. They also sell lots of marinades that you can use on fish before you bake it - something Asian might change your mind about all kinds of fish.
Kathy is spot on here. If you have a Trader Joe's in the area, go check them out. They have tons of frozen fish, good prices. Most of the packages give descriptions about what you can expect from a certain kind of fish; is it firm, is it flaky, what would go best with it. TJ's also has fantastic marinades and seasonings to pair with the fish.

Or you could try grilling the fish in a pan and then making it into a fish taco. I really recommend mahi mahi for this, it has a firmer texture so stands up well to cooking. Put in a warmed mini corn tortilla with some cabbage, some pico de gallo, onion and lime and you have a winner on your hands.

I have found tilapia to be an interesting fish. It has a pretty firm texture and a mild flavor. It's not my favorite, I would rather have salmon or mahi mahi, but it's a cheaper fish so it's often a good price. My family just tosses it in a pan with some olive oil, squirt of lemon on top, salt and pepper and that's it. I like to put my fish on top of a salad. It wilts the greens somewhat, but it's absolutely delicious with some honey dijon dressing.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
FitDay Member

I don't like 'fishy' fish, but I like canned tuna, small amounts of salmon, and some of the milder white fishes. I really like barramundi when it is very fresh, it has a mild taste, it is flaky but more melt in your mouth than other fishes. I think a variety of it is available outside of Australia under the name 'asian seabass'.
You can bake it in the oven inside a little wax paper parcel with flavours that you like. It is also amazing battered and fried but obviously not as healthy!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

I used to hate fish with a passion, but all that changed after eating fresh Swordfish that I had caught while on vacation in Maui back in 1997-I'm totally addicted to fish now.
My favorite method to cook it is on the grill and some of my favorites are: Salmon,swordfish, Ahi Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Talapia and when I go fishing and actually catch something its: Trout,Steelhead,Stripped Bass and again, Salmon. I wish I was closer to the coast because I would be eating even more fresh fish, but like what others have posted, Trader Joes is a great place to get frozen fish.

I also indulge in prawns/shrimp on the grill with olive oil,small amount of butter, garlic and some cayenne on skewers wrapped in foil, mmmm..

I also will have Sushi a couple of times a month(not homemade, but in a restaurant).

I've also managed to get the girlfriend into liking fish and she's way picky- that's why I grill it outside, she hates the smell it leaves in the kitchen.
Ahi steaks (Yellow tail Tuna) is her favorite- I'll marinade it in some Newman's Vinaigrette and toss it on the grill- same goes for the Swordfish.

The Mahi Mahi and Tilapia are great in Tacos, I'll grill them outside and saute the hot peppers and veggies on the stove then mix them up once the fish is done on the grill- yummy

I don't eat crab, crayfish or Lobster tho, too much work to get the meat and too rich for my tastes.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Flounder is nice. So is Tilapia and they can be interchanged for one another in recipes.

I bake it in the oven at about 375 with a tomato slice on top and bread crumbs (seasoned or unseasoned whatever you like) a little fresh lemon juice and chopped walnuts. Stick it under the broiler about 4-5 minutes or put it in a 475 degree oven for about 6-7 minutes and wait for the compliments.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

there is no problem in trying again fish, it contains lot of good vitamins that are essential for health, good luck for you chance of testing again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.