Notices

custom food

Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default custom food

I make custom foods and its a little arcane i think. is there a better way.

Right now, i take an empty day (next day, say) and put all the ingredients into the day, then copy all that nutritional info into a custom food with the name noting the total volume or weight. then i can scale 1 serving, knowing what its unit of measure was.

is there a better way?

i'd prefer to make a custom food (a dish i eat regularly), which is really the combination of the individual foods and can then be looked at and edited.

any thoguhts?

Mike.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Mike,
There are serveral websites out there that allow you to input the ingredients for a recipe and will then calculate the total calories and all the RDA's. Most of them allow you to tell the program how many servings the recipe calls for, therefore the nutrient load per serving. I think the calorie counter is one of them, but let Google do the searching
Old 06-28-2012, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Mike,
There are serveral websites out there that allow you to input the ingredients for a recipe and will then calculate the total calories and all the RDA's. Most of them allow you to tell the program how many servings the recipe calls for, therefore the nutrient load per serving. I think the calorie counter is one of them, but let Google do the searching
Hi Pam,

I have been doing pretty much the same as Mike. I go to a future day (usually tomorrow), enter all the items and then use the calorie breakdown chart in addition to the total nutrition (chart instead of table). I created a spread sheet with all the items: sodium, copper, niacin, etc.) and enter all the total values (column A)of the whole recipe. Column B is #servings, and the 3rd column is a simple formula A/B = value per serving.

It works pretty well but I too think there should be an easier way. I just googled calorie counters and checked a few websites out. Not only are their calculators inferior to fitday (IMHO), but I could not find one that would perform this action. Plus, I really don't want to use another site - kinda defeats the purpose of being on Fitday in the first place if you have to use another site's calculator!

Maybe something to consider for a future upgrade???
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi guys,
I have done much the same thing in the past, and you are right it works just fine. The Calorie Count::new recipe site is just a little easier, but not by much. I say work with what works for you .. and yes, maybe some day FitDay will incorporate such a thing!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
FitDay Premium Member

FWIW, FitDay PC has a great recipe builder. You simply drag and drop your ingredients and it builds the custom food for you. Very useful!

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks Micheal,
I did not know that