Notices

Any good TV shows to watch?

Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Any good TV shows to watch?

I'm getting an exercise bike next month and I want something to do while I sit on it so I'm looking for good TV shows that are 2 or more seasons long.

Things I like:
-Anything involving fantasy/sci fi/fiction
-Anything that isn't too predictable and most importantly it must remain consistent, no huge holes in the storyline (Stargate series changes their "universe rules" so it becomes lame)
-Preferably made since the turn of the century for the purpose of content that I can still remember.
-Characters that have reasons for their actions/skills (In Falling Skies Ben has the alien harness that allows him to be faster and stronger so I understand why he is part of their military but in Walking Dead Carl just sort of joins in with the weapons despite being a 10 year old with just about 0 training - lame)

Things I don't like:
-Medical dramas
-Anime
-Anything that revolves heavily around drugs/sex
-Generic comedies
-If at all possible, something where the main characters are not so morally and ethically "saintlike" that it becomes a show more about preaching morals and ethics or family values

Shows I like(d):
The Wire (hence no more crime dramas, I've found they don't usually compare)
Game of Thrones (I'm on book 5 but I can't read while exercising)

Shows I found average:
Firefly
Stargate series (too many holes)
Mentalist
White Collar
Continuum
Falling Skies
Alphas

I know it's not much of a starting point but if you know any good shows that fit roughly into that profile I would really appreciate it
Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

Here are a few that might work for you. I think all of them are currently on Netflix:

Battlestar Galactica (can be dry, but once you get past the first 10 episodes, it gets better. Plus there's a LOT of hours available to keep you on the bike.)

Sherlock (The new BBC series. Not too many episodes yet, but tons of fun.)

Dr. Who (Again, lots to watch and not too serious most of the time. Might be just the thing to watch during physical activity.)

How about a re-watch of X-Files or any of the Star Trek series? Some older stuff here, but possibly worth a dip into pre-2000 television.

As far as comedies, I'm a fan of Arrested Development and Archer, but I totally realize taste varies a lot from person to person.

I also like the videos available on the PBS website for a change of pace. Hard to beat a good NOVA, Nature, etc.

Stuff I haven't seen, but my friends like a lot:
Downton Abbey
True Blood (if you have access to HBO)
Mad Men
Lost
Eureka and Warehouse 13 -- These are (sort of) related TV shows from SciFi Channel. I've seen a handful of episodes of each and they can be kind of lame-o, but also fun and not too serious, so good for being on the bike. Also BF likes 'em. Who knew?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
FitDay Member

Oh! Forgot to include a couple of inspiring TV shows. How about Extreme Weight Loss or re-runs of the Biggest Loser (if you haven't already seen them). I think there are also a few others available on Hulu -- can't remember the titles now, but should be easy to find.

Or, EVEN BETTER for a bike workout, the Tour de France starts in a few days (June 29th) on NBC or you can watch past coverage of other bike tours (most of the Tour of California, Tour Down Under, and Giro de Italia are on YouTube). Watching pro cycling is still fairly new to me, but it is super inspiring and makes me want to get out on the road and spin the pedals.

Cheers!
Doom
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

The Killing. It takes two seasons to solve the crime. Very well done. Two very unlikely central characters work as detective partners. No flirtatious romance sparks between them (and yet...!) Wonderful constant scenery of gloomy, rainy Washington State.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

"Lost" is probably my all-time favorite show, though it went on a couple of years past when they should have ended it.

While exercising, I often watch BBC shows on fitness and healthy eating (the BBC seems to do a lot of different shows in these genres). Whenever they show something like a fatty liver, an MRI of a barely overweight person showing his internal fat, diabetes sores, etc., my workout goes into overdrive - whatever I'm doing, I do it harder and faster. I speed up and push harder that without consciously thinking about it, but then notice I'm doing it - it clearly must stress me out to see that stuff.

Kathy - I loved the first season of "The Killing". I loved the grittiness and the imperfect lives of the characters. I was angry when they didn't end it at the end of the first season, and didn't bother watching the second. But it was really well done.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the replies

Battlestar Galactica - They lost me with that whole religious turn in the storyline

Sherlock - I can't believe I left this off my list, I'm still waiting for season 3 to start, can't wait

Dr. Who - I saw some older episodes a while ago but might look into the newer ones

Arrested Development - I loved this years ago, but haven't seen the new season yet, I heard it isn't as good

Downton Abbey - Never heard of it, I'll have a look

True Blood - This show introduced 5 new supernatural creatures every season and it's long passed the point where I have any clue what the writers are thinking

Mad Men - Heard it's quite sex obsessed but I'll have a look

Lost - Like Carolynn said, I heard it drags on too far and kind of loses you

Eureka and Warehouse 13 - I think my girlfriend watches these, might as well be worth a try

The Killing - Never heard of it but I'll search for it soon

I don't know if I can sit and watch others cycle for hours on end, I like my sports with a little more action
Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thought of another great show: Luther (BBC) - with Idris Elba as the detective. They've done two seasons - I can't wait for Season 3 to start.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

I second the motions of Doctor Who, and also Torchwood, which is a spin-off of the new Doctor Who. I liked Eureka, enjoy Warehouse 13. I like Haven, Lost Girl, Being Human (there's a US and a BBC version, both of which are good and have divergent story lines, so not too much overlap). Those are all on the SyFy channel. I like True Blood. Um, what else... oh, Supernatural! Love that show. I like Criminal Minds a lot. Of course, Sherlock, but you already watch that. I've heard Babylon 5 is really good once you get past the first season (which I didn't know to do, so I only saw the first season and wasn't that impressed.) I watch a lot of scifi and fantasy, I'll let you know if I think of anything else.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hey I'm not sure if you are still looking for a good show but Supernatural is a great Sci-Fi show that is going on its 9th season. Great story line, good looking characters, action, great music, and no two episodes are the same.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alidupont318
Hey I'm not sure if you are still looking for a good show but Supernatural is a great Sci-Fi show that is going on its 9th season. Great story line, good looking characters, action, great music, and no two episodes are the same.

I agree it's a great show! I don't watch TV anymore but I am trying to catch up on the last few seasons on DVD. I have a mad crush on Dean!

Last episode I watched was the one where all the kids were cloned and killing their parents!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.