Notices

Resisting the backslide

Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default Resisting the backslide

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted. Been a hectic few months. I've been training, working on getting my Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A, so I can drive the big rigs.

During training I observed practically everyone eating the SAD (Standard American Diet). Mostly all the truckers and trainers I've met have been overweight and many of them obese. I think it's more challenging in the trucking industry because it takes even more discipline to stick to your guns and eat what's right, not what's easy.

The last four weeks, instead of going to Wendy's or McD's or Burger King with the gang, I opted to take a cooler to school every day and eat the foods that helped me achieve my 40+ pound weight loss, which I've been maintaining since December. The guys made fun of me and said I was eating "bird seed" for lunch. LOL. But I didn't cave in to the pressure to conform. And yes I cheated here and there, but when all was said and done I have only gained a pound in the last month, my BMI is still well within the healthy range. And now I plan on losing that pound before I gain any more. I'm taking no prisoners when it comes to my diet!

Over the last year I've taken a hard line with many folks here and elsewhere about choosing the correct foods and making the tough choices. But it's not just talk; I've been leading by example. I hope that when I'm on the road, trucking through this country, that I can help more people realize that they don't have to be held captive to the marketing scheme that is called the SAD.

Healthy diet. Just do it.

PS: Here's a shot of yours truly on graduation day. FYI no, my gut didn't grow, the shirt I'm wearing just makes me look fat. LOL.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hey VitoVino!

I am so impressed with your resolve and your success! You look great! I know how easy it can be to succumb to convenience food. I can't even imagine the added pressure of long days/nights on the road with the temptations of eating out all the time.

Just a question if you don't mind. what kind of foods do you put in your cooler? I will need to start packing my lunches myself, and could use ideas from someone who lost 40 lbs!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations Vito!

It is eye-opening to look around and see what other people are eating! Mind-Blowing really. I wish you great journeys and safe journeys in your new career. I know once you get your own rig, you are going to paint something on that thing that gets your message across to the nation!

Way to go!

Yours,
Frenchhen3
Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, congrats on making the right food choices!

The new McDonald's Happy Meal has fewer calories and they've added fresh apple slices. Not trying to 'sell' the meal, just reporting an improvement. The french fries are definitely a much smaller serving.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by uncanny_sword
Hey VitoVino!

I am so impressed with your resolve and your success! You look great! I know how easy it can be to succumb to convenience food. I can't even imagine the added pressure of long days/nights on the road with the temptations of eating out all the time.

Just a question if you don't mind. what kind of foods do you put in your cooler? I will need to start packing my lunches myself, and could use ideas from someone who lost 40 lbs!
I packed water, unsweetened iced tea, bananas, apples, peanuts, almonds, fiber bars, low salt pretzels, cans of tuna, fresh carrots, and hard boiled eggs. I ate pretty much the same almost every day except for once a week where treated myself to a Subway hoagie. If I went with the guys to a FF place I always opted for a salad with vinegarette, maybe a broiled chicken wrap, along with a cup of water.

Eating light was no problem as the temps soared into the low 100's in the Yard, and it was more like 110 inside the truck. The A/C didn't work well if at all. Old trucks.

When I'm on the road I'll have a frig with me in my sleeper. Also a George Foreman grill. I'll be eating turkey burgers on multigrain bread and microwaving sweet potatoes. I'll be doing all my own cooking and when I can't I'll always choose a salad at any stop.

Last edited by VitoVino; 07-25-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up What a Man!!!!

You look awesome, Vito. And I love your resolve to eat healthy in spite of what others say about & to you. I bet you can influence other truckers for the better.

I've a "trucker" uncle who is diabetic & struggled with weight. But somehow in later years he did pretty well with eating much healthier. He owns his own rig. In the last years I believe he trucked more in state, or somehow made so that he could be home more with his family. I just know I was impressed with how even at gatherings he ate healthy & how is wife said that he made good choices with food while on the road.

He also had fridge/cooler, bunk and so on in his cab.

Congrats on your graduation!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on the schooling Vito! My hubby works as a mechanic for the largest trucking corporation in our area of the world.

It really is hard to eat right when faced with peer pressure but you withstood the challenge and are better off for it.

I pack my hubby lunch/breakfast every day and I know some of the guys probably look when for breakfast he eats a greek yogurt, an apple and an orange followed by a salad for lunch with a diet coke. He also gets a baggie of grapes for a mid morning snack. Poor guy works 5am-4pm.

I am so very proud of you right now!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 AM
FitDay Member

congrats ! be safe and continue to fight your are a great inspiration !