Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > Off-Topic
The Weekend---Dealing with the "ugh your dieting?" >

The Weekend---Dealing with the "ugh your dieting?"

Notices

The Weekend---Dealing with the "ugh your dieting?"

Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default The Weekend---Dealing with the "ugh your dieting?"

Any advice on how to respond (without punching someone!) when you are out to dinner with friends or family and you need to explain you are dieting and just can't have the loads of dessert they expect you to normally eat? I can't stand the "ugh your dieting...why...oh please..etc..etc.."

What do you all say when someone asks why you are dieting? How do you prepare for outings with friends or parties????? The weekend is here and I am afraid I will fall off track with the ridiculous comments plus already being vulnerable since I will be out at two parties this weekend...
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
FitDay Member

What I like to do if it is a "stand-up" party (where you have the tables of food, not a seated affair) Hopefully they have shrimps and a veggie tray... is I'll make a little plate of that and then go stand outside (with the smokers) or at the opposite side of the room away from the food table. I have also been known to make my dinner and program my oven to turn on while I am at the party, and I then have an exit, exit time, and a yummy smelling dinner waiting for me at home!

If I am dining out, I make sure that I am sitting far away from any appetizers. They are hard to decipher how much calories they have and they can easily send you over your count for the day.

How I answered the "are you dieting?" I have said any one of the following responses, "I'm trying to make better choices." That one usually sparks a nice conversation... "No, I am not really 'dieting' but making dramatic changes to the way I eat." If you don't want to talk about it with anyone, you could say, "I'm just not feeling all that well today..."
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes I try to pass it off by joking a bit, "Oh, I'm on a health kick right now" or say I've decided to avoid processed foods / sugar / white flour, etc. That way it sounds like more of a health decision than a weight loss thing, and people are generally more accepting of that.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
FitDay Member

I agree with Cassie, I don't know what is wrong with people but if you say you are quitting smoking, or drinking, or whatever, they feel obliged to pressure you.
I have never smoked and when offered a ciggie just said so and there was never any problem but when my friend said that she was trying to give up it was always " are you sure you dont want one" or " I'm sure one wont hurt". Same with dieting, it's always " you dont need to lose weight, or one muffin wont hurt you, or dont be a wet blanket sitting there eating rabbit food" So I usually say that
1. I had to have a large lunch with clients/workmates/people leaving so im not very hungry.
2. My doctor has told me to avoid fats, dairy, oily food....whatever.
3. I seem to be allergic to some of these foods so I'm avoiding them.
4. Ive given up bread, chocolate, wine, whatever for Lent ( you can only use this one at certain times of the year of course)
5. I've completely gone off these sweet things, they make me feel ill, maybe I'm pregnant/menopausal.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am excited to try it. While the avoiding overeating seems easy...i hope I can master the response to those annoying questions. I agree with the smoking comparison. Most of my friends smoke and it pisses me off when they offer it to me after ive blatantly expressed my choice not to in the past. Sad to say I think its the 'misery loves company' type deal. Anywho, I am going to prepare for tonight and tomorrow with your suggestions...hopefully all goes well!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizards13
3. I seem to be allergic to some of these foods so I'm avoiding them.
Lol..."And they make me really gassy" <add that part in if they are really persistent.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with most of the above - saying that you're dieting for whatever reason tends to make aggressive or defensive responses. I also just say "Oh, I'm full, but thanks!" about desserts with friends, or saying something like "Trying to cut back on chocolate/white flour/sugar/fats/etc." (whatever excuse seems valid) also does help. They may say "Oh, then just get the ice cream!" which is why "I'm full" often works for me.

If they're good friends, I find that a very simple and polite "No, thank you" often works, and I'm trying to do that more often (because I don't need to make excuses for myself!)

If someone asks me why I'm dieting or changing my lifestyle, I just say "for my health, and because I feel better when I eat this way." There's no real witty comeback that I've found for that one from people! You don't need to give any other reason than that! Good luck, and I hope your friends are supportive!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you So far I haven't been dealing with too many defensive/aggressive responses but when I do (and I am sure I will) I will try your suggestions. I like the "it makes me gassy" one haha so thanks I will try that ...and especially the "I am doing it for my health" because I actually did use that one already and it seems no one has a smart response for it so I will keep using it!!!!

thanks all and good luck as well
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM
FitDay Member

LOL... cool joke

Last edited by sewdream19; 10-26-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

I don't feel like anyone pressures me but I do have trouble monitoring things for the weekend. I do great M-F and then it is hard to stay on task for Friday and Saturday nights. We go out to eat usually one night and there have been weddings and other social events the other nights.

Been trying to stick to a vodka and diet tonic for a drink or a glass of white wine. Rather than try to mentally count the calories of what's on my plate, I am trying to eat half or less. Any other suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.