Notices

Underweight models banned in Israel

Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default Underweight models banned in Israel

Granted, I know this isn't exactly off-topic, but I couldn't figure out which thread would be appropriate. Here's the link New Israeli law bans underweight models in ads | ajc.com, but basically what the article says is that if a model has a BMI below 18, she can't be shown in advertising, that models have to provide medical documentation that they're not malnourished, and that it must be disclosed if photos have been altered.

Wow, big step!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

I think this is a good development. I hope that all countries discourage models that have BMI's in the unhealthy low range.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM
FitDay Member

I actually read a different article about this and posted it on Facebook. I was appalled by how many teenage girls I went to high-school with actually upset about this. I got comments like "It's their body!" and "They shouldn't be punished for having a mental illness!"

I agree. This is a step in the right direction.