Notices

Spiritual Side of Wight issues

Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM
FitDay Member

As I have worked on my weight loss I have came to realize that what I need to focus on is not just the weight loss, but also being healthy and fit. I was taught and have always believed that the body is a temple and now I have the mindset that treating my body as a temple is not just about not smoking or not using drugs or engaging in other destructive behaviors, but also means eating nutritious food, exercising and being as healthy as possible physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by terrienne
As I have worked on my weight loss I have came to realize that what I need to focus on is not just the weight loss, but also being healthy and fit. I was taught and have always believed that the body is a temple and now I have the mindset that treating my body as a temple is not just about not smoking or not using drugs or engaging in other destructive behaviors, but also means eating nutritious food, exercising and being as healthy as possible physically, emotionally and spiritually.
I agree that our body is a temple, specifically the temple of the Holy Spirit. And seeing the spiritual aspect of it helps to keep us motivated and have a deeper reason. We must care for the temple.

However, I also feel that God is a God who wants us to be happy, to be healthy, to enjoy a good life. And so we care for ourselves not just because we are a temple, but because God believes that as human beings we are important enough to care for ourselves. We are valuable to Him, and therefore we must care for ourselves.

To see it only as a way for us to 'care for the temple' than we aren't caring for ourselves. For so long I have practiced spirituality and cared for spiritual things, but those did not involve my self worth. I think that if you're going to become spiritual about weight loss, than you must know that it isn't just a religious tradition or ritual to please God, but it is because God cares for our well being and in His eyes we are valuable and He wants the best for us.

Religious traditions, especially dietary restrictions, have been a huge part of spiritual rituals. And although I believe those restrictions were for the well being of the people -especially those found in the Torah concerning the people of Israel - I believe people have made rituals and traditions as rules to be accepted by God. Rather, I believe God has placed those rituals and traditions because he wants more for us and wants to protect us.

So if you're going to use spirituality as a means to help you stick to the program, then make sure it is because you are learning the value that you have in the eyes of God, and not because you must follow rules and regulations to become closer to Him.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I'd reply but I take issue with "Judeo-Christian". One is either a Jew or one is a Christian. But don't let that stop you. Carry on.
Just wondering what issue you take with Judeo-Christian?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
FitDay Member

Becky, I 100% believe that God wants the best for us and wants us to be happy. That is why I previously mentioned not just physical health, but emotional health as well, which includes having a feeling of self worth and purpose. Thanks for your insights.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Emotional health can lead to success in work, relationships and health. In the past, researchers believed that success made people happy. Newer research reveals that it’s the other way around. Happy people are more likely to work toward goals, find the resources they need and attract others with their energy and optimism — key building blocks of success.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by *Becky
I agree that our body is a temple, specifically the temple of the Holy Spirit. And seeing the spiritual aspect of it helps to keep us motivated and have a deeper reason. We must care for the temple.

However, I also feel that God is a God who wants us to be happy, to be healthy, to enjoy a good life. And so we care for ourselves not just because we are a temple, but because God believes that as human beings we are important enough to care for ourselves. We are valuable to Him, and therefore we must care for ourselves.

To see it only as a way for us to 'care for the temple' than we aren't caring for ourselves. For so long I have practiced spirituality and cared for spiritual things, but those did not involve my self worth. I think that if you're going to become spiritual about weight loss, than you must know that it isn't just a religious tradition or ritual to please God, but it is because God cares for our well being and in His eyes we are valuable and He wants the best for us.

Religious traditions, especially dietary restrictions, have been a huge part of spiritual rituals. And although I believe those restrictions were for the well being of the people -especially those found in the Torah concerning the people of Israel - I believe people have made rituals and traditions as rules to be accepted by God. Rather, I believe God has placed those rituals and traditions because he wants more for us and wants to protect us.

So if you're going to use spirituality as a means to help you stick to the program, then make sure it is because you are learning the value that you have in the eyes of God, and not because you must follow rules and regulations to become closer to Him.
Very well put !, fasting and prayer are things I feel are essential, but our modern word has inched away from them. I know for myself I thought I was in contorl and then my world came crashing down around me!. My wife of 27 years left me, my health began to fail, and I went insearch of what I should do!, I did not want to take up any destructive behavior, alcohal abuse is in may family and I believe it is hereditary, I never fooled with drugs, and I am a cradle Catholic (born into the faith) so I went to church, and I prayed hard, I was to meet a very gifted priest who must have seen what I was carring and he reached out to me, fo over six weeks of Sunday mass, he tried to get me to open a dialog with him but I fought back thinking I could deal with the pain by myself, I was wrong and when I finally agreed to let him help me I began to regain who I was and what I was here to do. I began to attend daily Mass and still do. I serve mass and handle the job of sacristin, for the daily mass. This Priest has moved on to another parish and we speak often. in short without the details he led me back to the Holy Spirit and it has giuded me on this weight loss journey, I hope I can help others,,

Bo
Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
FitDay Member

Sorry, this post ended up being much longer than I anticipated, but you did ask about the religious side of dieting, and these are the things that I believe, and that help me along my journey, so here you go...

As a child, I experienced some abuse at the hands of 2 family members, which left me with extremely low self esteem . To prevent any further abuse, I made myself as unappealing to others as I could; using the only method I had at the time… food.

I was raised in a non religious family, but started attending weekly church meetings with a friend almost 7 years ago. I was baptized on mother’s day weekend of ’09. During this time I have come to know that we are all made in the image of God (which means that he has physical body!), and that our bodies are his temples. Although we are given the gift of free agency, we are expected to use it to better ourselves, and to help others to the best of our ability.

In the time that I have been involved in the church, I have managed to cut out almost all of my self-destructive habits (smoking, drinking, etc) and am trying to cut out all caffeine (so far coffee and tea are out of the picture…now all I have to do is cut out the sodas and energy drinks!). The only real vice I still have is food. Unlike the others, food is actually necessary for our survival, so I can’t just stop eating.

We are asked to fast on the first Sunday of each month, and give the money that would have been spent on food as a fast offering to help support others in the congregation who are in some sort of financial hardship. Although I can’t fast for medical reasons, I find that this tradition helps us remain mindful of what we consume, and the effect that it has on the vessel the Lord has given us for our temporal journey.

I spent more than 25 years (from the time I was 10) feeding myself garbage, so that my body would match my self-esteem. I’ve had a very hard time learning how to nourish myself properly so that I may be a worthy vessel for His presence. I’m hoping that through prayer, scripture study, and this site, I will gain control of my issues surrounding food. I do have the basics down though…

In part the “Word of Wisdom” (the church’s doctrine on health) says…

“Inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, it is not good…Strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.”

“And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.”

“…Hot drinks are not for the body or belly” (That would refer to coffee and tea, either hot or cold!)

“…All wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving” (Eating FRESH, local, sustainable foods)

“Also flesh of the beasts and of the fowl of the air, I, the Lord have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; never the less, they are to be used sparingly; And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or of famine” (Many assume that this is do to poor refrigeration techniques, assuming that the meat would spoil and cause illness before it was all eaten, but, in my opinion, we still eat to many animal products for our health…and yes, I am including myself in that statement!)

“All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life… All grain is good for the food of man; and also the fruit of the vine… whether it is in the ground or above the ground”

“And all who remember to keep and do these sayings… shall receive health in their navel and marrow in their bones… and shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint”

I truly believe that these ordinances were promptings of the Lord, and are meant to guide and direct us to live healthier lives, and keep his temples pure so that He may dwell with us… for the Lord does not dwell in unclean places.

These are the beliefs that I hold dear, and I am trying to live within the guidelines of this doctrine as best I can, though I still find myself struggling with portion sizes.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default nice post Angela

you never know what your posting will do!, or how it will reach someone who is searching!, good luck on your journey, you and all who share this struggle are in my prayers!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by botoepfer
you never know what your posting will do!, or how it will reach someone who is searching!, good luck on your journey, you and all who share this struggle are in my prayers!
Thank you for that . I'm glad that it didn't sound too preachy (or perhaps it did ) I'm hoping that my experience and religious beliefs may help someone along the way.