FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   "part of this complete breakfast" (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/4987-part-complete-breakfast.html)

lalagoe 08-18-2011 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 53884)
I totally agree! Cereals are horrible in their advertising. I have particular beefs with the sugary ones (Froot Loops are even advertised this way on this site) that tout themselves as a good source of fiber, and also Special K, which really pumps itself up as being the healthiest thing going, but has very little fiber or protein (except the high protein version), and uses HFCS. Many of them are like white bread...strip the nutrients out, then put them back in artificially.

The sugar content in some of the special K's aren't much different than that of some of the sugary kid's cereals too. Several months ago I compared one of the Special Ks with Lucky Charms, and they had eerily similar nutritional content... I ate Lucky Charms that morning.

lalagoe 08-18-2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 53943)
The ad for Nutella is hilarious, the woman spreads it on what looks to be some sort of multi whole grain bread and says that it helps to get healthy food down her kids, the ad never comes out and says that Nutella is healthy (good thing it doesn't). Of course Nutella helps to get healthy food down your kids, a spoon full sugar helps the medicine go down too, but nobody ever talks about the side effects from the spoon full of sugar.

Don't even get me started on Kellogg's, it's a real shame that a huge company like that puts high fructose corn syrup in EVERY PRODUCT THEY MAKE. I won't buy it anymore, end of discussion. Our kids know that if it contains more than 10g of sugar per serving, it's flat out not going in the cart. Some of the General Mills cereals that appear to be quite sugary are actually not too bad. The kids actually like Kix, and some of the Cheerio flavors, Captain Crunch even makes the cut.

The other day I was at Wal-Mart on "free sample" day. They were handing out little cups of Yoplait with a tsp of granola dumped on top of it. The kids and I all took a sample, it was so sugary that none of us really cared for it. Anyway the sample lady is a friend of mine and tried to give me extra coupons, cause she knows if it's a really good coupon I'll use it. I told her, "thanks, but I don't usually buy Yoplait no matter the price, because every single one of their products contains high fructose corn syrup". But she was like "this is their NEW healthy line, blah blah blah". So she picks up the container and we read the ingredients, ta-da item 3 "high fructose corn syrup". Healthy my big white butt.

The 10g sugar rule for cereal is in our house too. (although my husband sneaks some Lucky Charms into the groceries from time to time) There are kid's cereals out there that aren't as high in sugar. I get my daughter cereals that I know are not healthy... but at least they have less sugar. (cookie crisp, peanut butter crunch) I have her drink some Odwalla Superfood with it or some soy milk or something. Then she gets to feel like a kid... and I get to feel less guilty.

almeeker 08-18-2011 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by nottango (Post 54099)
How about those Pop Tart commercials? "Don't send your kids to school without a HOT breakfast..."

Unfortunately there isn't a requirement for absolute truth in advertising, which would end the commercial with something like, "send them off to school filled up with a Pop Tart, guaranteed to give them a sugar high, and at 420 calories for a twin pack they are a nice fattening breakfast for any child". Oh and don't even get me started on the vitamin supplements added to them. OY! My kids love them, but have gotten used to the fact that mommy WILL NOT buy them or allow them into the house, we spent some time reading the labels on them together, so now they understand why - sort of.

almeeker 08-18-2011 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by lalagoe (Post 54146)
The 10g sugar rule for cereal is in our house too. (although my husband sneaks some Lucky Charms into the groceries from time to time) There are kid's cereals out there that aren't as high in sugar. I get my daughter cereals that I know are not healthy... but at least they have less sugar. (cookie crisp, peanut butter crunch) I have her drink some Odwalla Superfood with it or some soy milk or something. Then she gets to feel like a kid... and I get to feel less guilty.

When I first started on the healthy journey, I let my kids off on a few of the details, one of them being breakfast cereals. But I've gotten tougher about it as I've gone along. One of the reasons I was obese to begin with was poor eating habits I developed during childhood. Two of our 3 children are a little on the chubby side and would be junk food junkies if I let them, so I figure what's good for me is good for them. Besides as a mother you should never feel guilty about teaching your children healthy habits, just the opposite really. My kids actually really like Kashi, and there is another one of the Total cereals they love, and they like Kix too. So you can be a hard core healthy mom and drag the kids along and still find cereals they will like.

almeeker 08-18-2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by lalagoe (Post 54145)
The sugar content in some of the special K's aren't much different than that of some of the sugary kid's cereals too. Several months ago I compared one of the Special Ks with Lucky Charms, and they had eerily similar nutritional content... I ate Lucky Charms that morning.

Our oldest DD wanted to do the "Special K diet", she lasted about 2 meals on it. In the end it was too sweet tasting and she wanted vegetables by supper time.

lalagoe 08-19-2011 02:23 AM

don't get me wrong, I make my kids eat healthier than a lot of the other kids that I know. I've been gradually making our diet more and more healthy over the past several years. My daughter loves Kix, and cheerios, chex, Fiber ONE pancakes (with yogurt, not syrup), soy milk... often times she chooses the healthy stuff... but I also let her have some of the other (not so healthy) stuff from time to time - and that I don't feel guilty about.

VitoVino 08-21-2011 02:25 PM

Cereals... I avoid them. I find that they tend to be heavy on the iron. I'm having difficulty right now trying to keep my iron content to the maximum RDA of 8.0 grams, and many breakfast cereals are heavy on the iron so eating them would put me even more over the usual 10-11 grams I'm already getting.

I've been reading up on the dangers of getting too much iron, and to say it's scary is an understatement! :eek:

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-...e-diet-a139766