Community
Notices

Chickens!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Chickens!

I probably should have my head examined. I will be bringing home 23 laying hens, along with their coop, fence and various accoutraments tomorrow.

There will be plenty of fresh cage-free, free range eggs available at my house from now on.

Anyone have any words of wisdom? I did get two books as part of the deal so I'm doing a little crash course in poultry husbandry.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Words of wisdom? Get nose plugs, something to ward off the flies and pray that your neighbors don't kill you (if you don't live in the country)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, we've got 150 acres, so we're good there. They really don't seem to smell too bad and the flies aren't bad, either from what I can see.

This is a bit different than the farm with four barns with 80,000 birds that my best friend growing up lived on. There was smell and flies with that.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think that's awesome, Michael!

Enjoy the eggs and have fun learning poultry husbandry . Are you naming them?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I think that's awesome, Michael!

Enjoy the eggs and have fun learning poultry husbandry . Are you naming them?
Ha ha I'm sure my daughter will. I plan to eventually double the flock and everyone will enjoy the baby chicks, I'm sure.

I've been eating eggs from these guys for several months now and they are much better than supermarket eggs.

The owners don't have time for them any more so wanted to sell the whole deal. Getting them home will be interesting!

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
Getting them home will be interesting!
Yes, make sure they are buckled up.

(The mental picture just kills me!)
Old 07-02-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

The coop w/four birds that rode in it are home. Now we're heading back to get some of the fence to put up. Then we'll get the other 19 birds home.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

The chickens are all home and seem happy. We got a small section of fench up for the time being. We've already got nine eggs to the move must not have upset them too much. Fresh eggs for breakfast!

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-02-2011, 04:17 PM
FitDay Member

I've been trying to talk my husband into a half a dozen chicks for over a year! I'm so jealous!!! (Although I've been having a terrible time with raccoons lately so I'm a little scared to try it.)

Last edited by quinnesec; 07-02-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I've been trying to talk my husband into a half a dozen chicks for over a year! I'm so jealous!!! (Although I've been having a terrible time with raccoons lately so I'm a little scared to try it.)
Yes, we are surrounded by woods so predators are a concern. I'm making sure all the birds are back in the coop by dark so hopefully we won't have any problems. We do have 'coons, skunks, foxes, coyotes, etc.

Once we're sure everyone is settled in and we have a little experience we plan to get some chicks so they're grown up before winter.

You should really consider doing it--it's tough to beat eggs (no pun intended) fresh out from beneath a chicken!

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.