Community
Notices

Chickens!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Count me among the jealous too

I've wanted a hen house for like ever. We have the space at the mountain house, but if I'm honest I just don't have the time or the priorities for it yet. It is on the retirement list, though.

Keep us posted from time to time, Michael, on how the girls are doing!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

Very cool about your new pets. Maybe I can help, we used to raise chickens! The earplugs aren't necessary unless you have a rooster or are a natural morning person. Of course getting a rooster is the cheapest way to get those chicks you're interested in. The best advice I can offer on chickens is to get really good feed. We used to take corn to the mill and have them grind it and make a chicken mix for us. The mix contained a certain percentage of ground sea shells for the laying hens, and I think sunflower seeds? Baby chicks got a different mix with some sort of added vegetable protein. I can't really give you the absolute break down, my mom took care of those details. The other thing that was important for the chickens was laying boxes, my dad built some up off the ground, and we also had perches up in the top of the coop where they slept at night. I don't recall that we ever lost any to predators, but our coop was metal with lots of fencing around it. The other thing that I remember was collecting potato bugs and tomato worms for them to eat. One time we had them so bad that we fenced in the garden and turned the chickens loose to get the situation under control. Chickens also love kitchen scraps, they are a bit like pigs and goats. We used to give them any sort of leftover veggy and grains (like soggy cereal or 1/2 eaten pancakes, bread crumbs, etc). Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default don't just crow at dawn

I bet chicks will be a great treat for your kids. I think you are going to make many fond memories with this new endeavor!
Btw Roosters don't just crow at dawn, but at 2:30, 3, 4....you get the idea. I would invest in ear plugs and white noise maker in your bedroom.
Research breed of rooster and go w the least aggressive/least likely to fight to the death. Some aren't quite as bad.

make friends at Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds
forum about raising chickens

Have Fun!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm back home and plan to get another 100 feet of fence up today. The birds love to roam around but a couple went across the road to visit the neighbors yesterday so that may not be a good idea. And, they do seem to leave their "calling cards" pretty much everywhere. I think with a couple hundred feet of fence they will have plenty of space.

I do have another four nest box to put up for them--there are a few birds that seem to hog the boxes. We seem to be getting about a dozen eggs a day at this point.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Love reading the chicken stories. I can picture you you rounding them up like in the Shreck game. Great exercise. I too love the seat belted chicken image. Next you will need to get the ones that lay green eggs. Mary
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
Love reading the chicken stories. I can picture you you rounding them up like in the Shreck game. Great exercise. I too love the seat belted chicken image. Next you will need to get the ones that lay green eggs. Mary
Exercise!

Let me just say that I don't see how a "farmer" could ever become obese. I've sweated my behind off putting up fence for almost eight hours today.

I'll post a pic of the chickens soon.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Exercise!

Let me just say that I don't see how a "farmer" could ever become obese. I've sweated my behind off putting up fence for almost eight hours today.

I'll post a pic of the chickens soon.

Regards,
Michael
Farmers get obese when they move to the suburbs, I speak from experience. Okay, now I'm sitting here waiting for chick pics....
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Farmers get obese when they move to the suburbs, I speak from experience. Okay, now I'm sitting here waiting for chick pics....
I'll grab a pic in the morning. Gotta head down shortly and make sure they're all in the coop and shut it up soon. They are pretty good about going back in around dusk.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Now you did it. Just watch, the other Mike will show up and put up a whole 'nother kind of "chick pic."

Glad the chickens are doing well for you, Michael.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Had to find out how the chickens are doing! Post a pic or two when you get a chance... I'm looking for some ideas. My retired father-in-law is always looking for a building project... he keeps teasing me about my chicken interest... lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.