Notices

Looking for Dog advice....

Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 PM
FitDay Member

Question Looking for Dog advice....

My 79 year old mother in-law moved in with us 2 weeks ago. We have always had a dog up to 2 years ago when our Golden Retriever passed at age 14. My mom in-law left her dog behind when she moved in with us and is looking for a new dog.

Mom is quite ambulatory, but uses oxygen and uses a walker for stability on long walks.

What do you recommend as a pet for an elderly person in a household of 3 adults (no kids - all grown and moved away)? Adult dog? Puppy? Breed?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Why did she leave her dog behind?

Where is the dog? What breed is it?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

Sorry...to clairfy, her previous dog was left with her spouse...he got the dog in the separation and she is having separation anxiety with out a dog. She has had poodles, pomeranians, and pugs in the past. We have generally gone for the lab or golden as pets. We want something that meets her needs but that we all will be happy with.

Thanks for any advice.

WE are checking out rescues and SPCA in the area.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
FitDay Member

why not try a cat ? They are mostly independant. Very loving.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I think visiting the ASPCAs and shelters will give you your answer. When you find the right friend, you know it . Good luck.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wonderful family dog

I rescued a fourteen month old boxer from the pound set to be euthanized. He is a wonderful family pet. Extremely sweet and gentle. Loves kids and other dogs. Barks a bit, but we handle that. He is eager to please. Boxers are like perpetual three year olds. Lots of fun, happy and playful.

I had a golden retriever, dachsund, shiba inu in my life. My boxer has out shown all of them in temperament, affection, fun and personality.

I live in an apartment and take him on a daily walk. He lays all over us and just wants to be part of the family.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Petfinder.com should have every dog that is up for adoption through rescue groups and shelters. Maybe a mixed breed would be a good middle ground and make everyone happy?

The dogs listed under the city run facilities (shelters/pounds) have very little time before they are euthanized.

Rescue groups that work directly with those shelters will usually have those dogs listed as "courtesy". That is usually where the dogs they foster came from. By adopting a foster dog from one of those groups, you are also saving a shelter dog by opening a foster slot for that group, allowing them to take more from the pound.

I rescue and foster. I will take any breed so I always get called for pit and other large breed rescue. I currently have 5 "big guys" here plus a little foofoo breed "vacationing" at my house along with some foster cats!

Come back and let us know what you ended up adopting!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Smile have you considered a cat

I am not a cat lover but I know many elders who have found cats to be better companions than dogs even some who are die hard dog people.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Thanks everyone for the advice and input. We put alot of effort into research and discussion. We have decided to wait a month or two to ensure our routines as a family (with the mom in-law moved in) are well adjusted and fair to bring a new pet into the home.

The Petfinder site is awesome.

We have also decided to go with a middle aged to mature rescue dog when we are ready to look.

Have a great weekend.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
FitDay Member

Considering how she's handling walking, I'd suggest a smaller dog as they don't need such long walks. And definitely avoid puppies! My mother has had Yorkshire Terriers for forty years, and a year after the previous one (a rescue) died, she and my stepdad got a puppy. They adore her, we all do, but they didn't know what hit them. She's insanely energetic, especially when she was little (hah, little, she weighs all of 5lb as an adult). Once they had her, they realised that a mad little thing was probably not the best option for a couple in their sixties and seventies. I think the dog is more energetic than previous ones, but the main thing is that my mother hadn't had a puppy in about twenty years and had forgotten what it was like. Thankfully they got through the puppy stage, and she is now a fair bit quieter, although still pretty energetic. She is deeply in love with a Pomeranian who lives around the corner, so she uses up most of her energy romping with her, and they pine if deprived of their playdates. (Admittedly, she is deeply in love with anyone she meets and jumps up to give them enthusiastic kisses and cuddles, the little slapper.) She is the cutest thing anyone has ever met, and incredibly friendly. Yorkies are fun little things, full of character.

If you do decide on a particular breed, you may find that there are rescue organisations for that breed alone. I know of two Yorkie rescue organisations in the UK alone, for instance, and no doubt they exist for other terriers, spaniels or what have you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.