FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   very interesting! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/3682-very-interesting.html)

01gt4.6 03-12-2011 12:47 PM

very interesting!

YouTube - The Strange Powers of the Placebo Effect

Misery16226 03-12-2011 02:24 PM

Well that really is.. Pretty freakin weird!
:)

01gt4.6 03-12-2011 02:55 PM

it goes to show how strong the power of belief is. Believe that you can be happy and get fit, I mean really believe it and see it that's any different. Probably not.

mecompco 03-12-2011 10:34 PM

I believe it. I think I've mentioned before how years ago I bought some expensive diet pills from an infomercial and lost 70 lbs using them. A year or so later I got an invitation to join a class action suit against the marketer as they had been proved to be totally useless and ineffective :o.

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 03-13-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 39486)
I believe it. I think I've mentioned before how years ago I bought some expensive diet pills from an infomercial and lost 70 lbs using them. A year or so later I got an invitation to join a class action suit against the marketer as they had been proved to be totally useless and ineffective :o.

Regards,
Michael

I remember you posting that.

wildbeanerz 03-13-2011 12:34 AM

I have always believed in the power of positive thinking.

Cybervox 03-13-2011 08:05 PM

I remember a group of 18 yr olds at a local college (I'm in Britain, so the legal age for alcohol is 18 here) getting "drunk" without alcohol - they had an event, did well, and my cousin (who worked there at the time) "spiked" their punch, making sure they could see. He used a vodka bottle full of water, and of course they thought it was actually vodka. Psychosomatic drunkenness... cheaper and funnier than the real thing, but still not recommended!

nottango 03-13-2011 11:30 PM

Good one!

taubele 03-14-2011 03:28 AM

Great video, and I learned a few things, such as how it's different between countries, which I didn't know. The placebo effect is absolutely fascinating - especially to a neuroscientist! :D So much to be learned about associational learning.

k1die 03-15-2011 02:39 PM

Placebo isn't just about pills and medicine :D, it's a self induced state of mind which works with pretty much everything. My belief is that trust and confidence are the keys to trick your mind, which tricks your body :D.

I have always believed in the power of positive thinking.
I`m sorry wildbeanerz but placebo doesn't take the side of positive thinking :D, it`s neutral. If you strongly think you have a cold (when you don`t actually have one) you get a pretty high chance to get sick, i think i did this when i was very little by accident (strong thoughts of being sick and lying to parents just to skip the day at school).