Notices

an apple a day...

Old 02-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

I found some Pink Lady apples at the store last night and they are very good; I don't think I've had one before. Very crisp, tart, and sweet at the same time.

I had the same thought as you, MunaAmin. Apples these days are huge...it's almost like getting two fruit servings and over 100 calories. I wish I could get the smaller ones, but the only way to do that is to buy a bag, and I'd rather pick them out myself.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Gala are my favorite but TBH, apples make me hungry!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

I like golden delicious or granny apples...sometimes apples make me hungry tho...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

Our weather has been really cold lately so I've been eating warm bowls of homemade, unsweetened, chunky cinnamon applesauce. So good and about 100 cal. per cup.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a Granny Smith girl - I like the tartness and crispiness. I'm with Mike, can't stand a mealy apple at all. Red Delicious are Red Disastrous to me. I'll just eat Granny Smith apples straight-up, or use them for baking (when I have attempted to bake!)

I also enjoy Macintosh and Courtland, but I haven't been able to find Courtlands in Florida
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by beccafries
...sometimes apples make me hungry tho...
I'm with you on this, beccafries. They tend to make my stomach growl an hour or so after I eat one. But if I add a little protein/fat (not sure if one is better than the other) like peanut butter or cheddar, that does happen.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 AM
FitDay Member

My husband and daughter both love tart apples, so I usually have Granny Smiths in the house, but I prefer Mcintosh, Fuji or Jonathan. Neither one of them seem to like fruits or veggies as much as I do, so when I do find something they'll eat I run with it lol. I do buy the smaller "lunchbox" apples in the paper bags. The kids don't finish the small ones usually, so why buy the huge ones? The big ones don't fit in my apple corer/slicer either.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
FitDay Member

Pink Ladies are definitely at the top of the list (even when it's not quite in season, they're still crisp and delicious), closely followed by Fuji, Gala and Granny Smiths. Love the sweet and tart.

Despise the powdery apples, as well as all-red apples, like the Red De-sgusting. The skin is always bitter and the flesh is tasteless.

I used to be a huge apple fan, but these days I'm leaning the way of the banana.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

I gotta say I love Golden Delicious the most this year. I go through phases. 2010 was all about the Pink Lady for me but the Goldens have been amazing this Winter. I also love a good Gala and here in Quebec, the local McIntoshes are absolutely fantastic in the Fall. They are small, sweet and crisp and I just love them!

Mike, fun thread!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Nothing like the month of September and a box of MacIntosh apples..and the rest of the year too.