Community
Notices

Pet Peeves

Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Coffee!

Our (large) office now has a coffee maker with three burners. One where the coffee is brewed and two just for warming. One pot is for decaf (hardly gets used). How many people had to avoid making a pot of coffee for me to find the two regular pots with less than a cup of coffee in each? Even worse the warming burner is turned off on one of the pots denoting that someone knew it needed attention.

If you take coffee and there is less than a cup left in the pot, make another one! (Even if this means pouring out the last few ounces and even if there is still another pot full.)

Sorry, for the rant. Wish I had a way to convey this to the people that need to hear it.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Why do people shorten things they say or type? Are people so obsessed with texting that they shorten everything?

Since when did the show "Who wants to be a millionaire?" become "Millionaire", what about "American Idol" now referred to as "Idol"? Today I log on to Yahoo and there is an article that reads "Charlie Sheen reacts to 'Men' Suspension", they aren't talking about "Men" but actually "Two and a Half Men".
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
FitDay Member

My absolute biggest pet peeves:

1. Putting ANYTHING back in the fridge with less then a usable amount left. Especailly the brita water filter! It takes 3 seconds to refill it! I get so pissed when there is only 1 oz of water left.

2. People who scrap their teeth on their forks or spoons while eating. The sound makes me cringe and want to stab everyone including myself in the face!

3. Leaving water on the floor. Whether you've spilled, splashed, or showered, mop that puddle up!!!!! I hate walking into a puddle and having to go change my socks because of some butthead

4. People who complain about having to do housechores, and expect all the cleaning to be done for them.

5. When somebody is doing their laundry and just leaves it, fills the washing machine, has stuff in the dryer, stuff on top of the dryer in their basket then just decides they are finished their laundry for the day. Forcing someone else to do their laundry for them if anyone else needs to use the laundry machines. Not sure if this is common in other households.

6. People who aren't open minded to trying healthier foods, or personal hygeine products.

One thing that is so much more then a peeve. Some people may be offended by this one, sorry. Need to vent this. This is something I can not stand.

Parents who plan absolutely nothing about parenting. They do not do any research about how to be the best parents, what products to use on their children, which foods the children will need. They don't research about human bahavior and how children will learn. Women who during pregnancy and breastfeeding eat junk-food. People, especailly women who have children after 35 yrs old. Parents who don't teach their children to be active, healthy, respectful and successful. People who have children with someone who is abusive or unstable DID YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD BE A GOOD PARENT ? Women who blame a pregnancy on the men. Basically I hate anyone who can't reproduce responcibly and be the absolute best parent they can be. If someone can't be a great parent, they need to make sure they do not have children. No excuses. I think being a bad parent should be a crime. It's a deep form of child abuse that will pretty much dictate the children's entire lives.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Well, in all fairness, if my mom had quit having kids at 35, I wouldn't be here, and I kinda like it here.

People at the office who don't seem to notice when they've used the last toilet paper roll in the cupboard, or who leave two sheets on the roll...or who splash water all over the counter and don't bother to clean it up...or who leave dirty dishes in the sink after lunch...or who raid the office refrigerator and eat other people's lunch! (Ye gods, buy your own.)

People who think the F word is punctuation, and who believe that they need to punctuate loudly in public places.

People who walk in the street, daring drivers to do anything about it.

I have more. LOL
Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
Parents who plan absolutely nothing about parenting. They do not do any research about how to be the best parents, what products to use on their children, which foods the children will need. They don't research about human bahavior and how children will learn. Women who during pregnancy and breastfeeding eat junk-food. People, especailly women who have children after 35 yrs old. Parents who don't teach their children to be active, healthy, respectful and successful. People who have children with someone who is abusive or unstable DID YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD BE A GOOD PARENT ? Women who blame a pregnancy on the men. Basically I hate anyone who can't reproduce responcibly and be the absolute best parent they can be. If someone can't be a great parent, they need to make sure they do not have children. No excuses. I think being a bad parent should be a crime. It's a deep form of child abuse that will pretty much dictate the children's entire lives.
I hate to say this, but the tone of this post bothers me some. I'm a pretty darn good mom, and "research" doesn't have a whole lot to do with what makes me successful at it. Mostly being a good mom is about unconditional love and by living your life in such a fashion as to be a good example to your children. And there is something to be said about being aware and consistent with the basics, food, clothing, shelter, etc. On top of that we have a lot of discussions with the kids about respect, loyalty, faith, courtesy, humility, courage, trustworthiness, compassion, generosity, oh the list goes on and on. Another thing that I think makes a good parent is to be interested and involved in your child's or children lives, not to take over, just to be involved, attend games, special events, celebrations, performances, help them study for tests, know their friends, their friends parents, etc.

BTW being a bad parent is a crime, at least here in MI it is. But I don't think it would be all bad if you had to pass a test and get a license before procreating.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

I am a bit put off by the tone of the parenting rant also. I agree with almeeker's response. Parenting is not about researching. Making informed decisions, yes, educated guesses, yes, weighing options, yes, but sometimes all you have is a gut feeling and you have to do the best you can. Sometimes you are in a position where you have no good options. Shoot, part of my job is performing parental fitness evaluations and giving expert witness in court about my findings, and I've never "researched" parenting. And I would rather see a mom over 35 than one who is 16 and has no stability in life. Yes, I hate to see a toddler sipping Coke out of a bottle and chewing on gummy worms, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses as parents and as humans.

Sometimes our pet peeves are issues we're having stumbling blocks with in our own lives, but not everyone shares that experience.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

I fully agree with you almeeker. You sound like a wonderful parent.
Sorry if the tone was misleading, or made some people defencive.

What I mean is that there are many irresponsible parents, and neglected children. People who just 'wing it'. People who don't even try to teach their kids anything, let them do whatever they want. Don't provide them with healthy foods, clothes, dentist, doctor, safe home. Parents who give up and leave their children are on a whole other level of hate with me. When I said they need to do some research, I meant they need to at least read a few baby books and health books (or web-search). Maybe look into child development and behavior. Just any knowledge to have an idea about how to be a good parent.

Also it's common knowledge that after 35 the chances your baby will be healthy go way down, and keep going down the older you get. Maybe I was a bit too harsh with that opinion, but those ladies seriously need to make sure they are in great health, I personally don't like that they are taking the risk.

The real peeve (what I truely meant...reworded and shortened) =
Parents who don't even try to be amazing. People who put their children (unborn included) at risk for bad health or a sad life where those can be prevented. Not saying parents should be, or can be perfect. Just really hate it when they don't bother to try.

If any of you still are upset about my opinions I am very sorry, I'm just being honest. I'll keep quiet about the subject from here on.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
This certainly is a controversial post.

I can see where you're coming from here, but at the same time, parenting is absolute guesswork. You can research how-to books until your eyes turn inside out, but every book is going to have conflicting advice, and each child is very, very different in behaviour and learning skills and how they take to different forms of discipline. I'm not quite sure what you mean by, 'what products to use on your children' . . . ?

I was 18 when I had my first, and I can tell you, everything myself and my partner did was guessing, experimenting, hit-and-miss-ing. Our son, now 8 (almost 9) is an intelligent, well-adjusted little boy (who is given to episodes of frustratingly boyish behaviour) and I did not read a single word on how-to. Call me irresponsible if you will, but I did a damn good job and didn't need to research the sage advice of a faceless 'expert' to tell me how to do it.

Regarding the age for having babies, I don't think, again, that it's a one-size-fits-all scenario. There are some women who have taken excellent care of themselves, are fit, healthy and at 35 are ready to spend the next eighteen years putting someone else before themselves. I do understand medical risks increase the older a woman gets, but a younger mother can have a medically disabled child, or complications during the pregnancy, too. It's not all about age.

I get the bit about parents who don't teach their kids how to be active, responsible, etc., and I do agree with you on this one. Not sure if you were being quite rigid in your meaning of 'successful'. I'd prefer my kids to be happy with whatever they choose to do with their lives, no matter how many peanuts they're paid, than be miserable on the endless quest for the almighty dollar (unless they're happy on that quest . . . then they can set me up for retirement ).

Am thinking your anger is more directed at the parents who continue to breed without actually 'raising' their children. But know that it's not about being 'parentally educated', it's about parenting with common sense. Everything that worked for your first child might not work at all for your second, or your third or whatever, so we're back to guesswork.

Curious - do you have kids?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
FitDay Member

You posted just before me, so I didn't see yours.

I think you reworded it to reflect more accurately what you were trying to say.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
FitDay Member

Behaze thanks for the replies I think you really understand where I'm coming from, to answer your question = No, I don't have kids. But if/when I do I'd make sure I'm ready and making the best choices I can for their future some of my self-set rules are that I'd have to have a steady career, money enough to support a child obviously, be extremely fit and healthy (mentally and physically), have a stable home, and a stable, successful, responsible partner. Before I decide to have a child And again sorry for any offense earlier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.