Oooooooh, I need this today!
A lot of mine have to do with teaching college classes (other teachers, relate?)
1) Students who do not ask questions in class, do not respond to e-mails, and then the day before the exam e-mail me to say "I dont understand nething can we meet today after 6 i cant make it 2 ur office ours i need xtra help plz
i cant fail i want 2 go 2 med school"
No, I can't make a special appointment for you today, and I can't go over all of the material. It is my responsibility to teach and it is YOUR responsibility to learn, not to wait until the last minute and put all your hopes on my charitable mood. The smiley face does not make us friends and doesn't make it all better. Also, I hope you're not my future doctor.
2) Bad teaching reviews because you failed my class. Once again: It is my responsibility to teach, and your responsibility to learn. Telling me that I suck and am unfair does nothing to help my teaching strategy, it just makes me frustrated and angry at you.
3) Students who show up to my classes in pajama pants, dirty sweatshirts, and UGG boots. I understand it's a 9:00am class and you had to roll out of your bunk to make it on time, but somehow, I managed to put a decent outfit together, and I have a 30 minute commute. It must be magic! By the way, your underwear is showing, and I find it disrespectful.
4) Attendance of the first class is mandatory and worth some credit. Somehow I don't believe that twenty-seven students magically had flat tires on the first day of class, but that's what my e-mails tell me. Really, you couldn't show up for some easy credit? I also find that disrespectful.
5) I know that you're not typing notes on your open laptop. Don't blame me when your "well-spent" time on Facebook means you don't understand today's lecture topic.
And, I think my biggest teaching pet-peeve:
6) Texting and/or taking cell phone calls in my class. I feel like that one cell phone commercial: "REALLY?!"
Other pet peeves:
Driving: ALL OF THE ABOVE. I think my hugest driving peeve, really, is when someone is coming up on a yellow light, accelerates to go through, but then at the last moment chickens out and slams on their brakes, making me have to brake much harder than I thought. Make up your mind, dude! You're a rebel or a safe driver, pick one!
Gum-snapping or twirling gum on the fingers. Ugh.
Someone whipping out a cell phone to take that "urgent" call when we're in the middle of a face-to-face conversation, or worse, a business meeting.
Not turning sprinklers off when it's just rained all day. Wasteful!
The dog barking and barking and barking and barking...
Also, the roll of toilet paper thing, with leaving just like two squares? HATE IT. Also, certain members of the male species spilling things and just leaving them there, looking at me like "you gonna get that, pudding?" Grrr!