Notices

Ark Builder required, must have own tools.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ark Builder required, must have own tools.

YouTube - Australian floods extend across Queensland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do0LvsdXIU my home town (situated at the top of the ~2500ft Great Dividing Range by the way, this isn't a floodplain.)
Sunny Qld Drought stricken for two decades and now this.
200mm of rain in the last 2 days, 140 of that in one hour this afternoon.
Anybody else experiencing very out of the ordinary weather the last few months?

Last edited by Bluedog72; 01-10-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yikes Bluedog! been watching the news from your piece of real estate and wondering how folks were coping there. You might have seen that places all over the States are also experiencing extreme weather. Have a friend in coastal North Caroline who had white Christmas - the first one since 1942! Atlanta is in the middle of torrential rains (though it is a spring shower compared to Queensland) and the whole NE corridor was shut down over the holidays because of snow.

Add to that the flocks of birds that keep falling out of the skys, fish, and crabs floating up dead, one does wonder how folks can doubt that the earth's systems are changing???

I hope you and yours are at least safe, if not terribly comfortable.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Atlanta (if you're referring to Georgia) is actually under 5 inches of snow and ice!

There's not been this much snow in the 17 years I've lived here.

I agree...there's a message here somewhere. I choose to interpret it as "live more simply." It's a good credo for food, exercise, and other things, without being political

Stay safe and dry.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks RunbikeSki, all safe and well. Massive clean up to look forward to when the rain finally clears away though
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Oh right... more freezing stuff in the south

Thanks for the correction CJ. I see that you have been kind of cooped up for a while. Are you and yours OK with the horrid weather?

Southern California has gotten a break from our rains. We got about a year's worth in 1 week over the holidays. Out where I am there was some spotty damage. One of the major roads in our neighborhood had a huge sink hole open up due to an undersized culvert that ran under the road. It couldn't handle the amount of water gushing down the arroyo. Water is very interesting in SoCal - much like Australia. The "streams" are dry much of the year, but when they fill, they often flood.

The eastern Sierras, where I spent most of the holidays (we have 2 houses) got waaay more snow than ever before - broke all kinds of records. Our house is a couple thousand feet lower that the ski area (Mammoth Lakes) and although we do get some snow every winter, nothing like the 5 feet we collected in the week around Christmas.

It has been a lu-lu globally and I bet it isn't over yet.

I hope every stays safe and protected.

Pam