Notices

Beware of 'Updater' software message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default Beware of 'Updater' software message

I just got a message splashed across my screen from a Google 'look alike' that said I need to update Chrome and 'click here' for that to happen.

My Chrome's just fine. I double checked - it is up-to-date. It's probably not specific to this website but it is very misleading.

I happened to notice that it had a less obtrusive print message saying that it looks for products that need updating on my machine and the next step would be accepting their terms.

Just recognize this for the phishing termite that it is. I have plenty of anti-virus protection and this still sneaked in!
Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

That creepy 'Updater' message still pops up when I'm in Fitday. It says that I need to update Google - and it wants me to install the product, which it says checks on all my software to make sure it's up to date.

Definitely this is not Google producing this 'updater.' My Chrome browser is up to date.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

That sounds like some sort of nasty bug that you might have caught. Have you checked with some of the virus scanners whether that might be part of the problem? I would really never let any program that I do not know update my computer without triple checking anything first!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm closer to understanding this thing now: it's a PUP. Potential unwanted program - and Malwarebytes (the free version I have) is the only thing that picked it up. I have three other products that could have, should have - but didn't.

It seems to be in my Google preferences, according to Malwarebytes (which reported the full name of the PUP) so I have just stopped using Chrome. Now, when I run Malwarebytes, it doesn't show up and those annoying messages don't show up - they are meant to make you think you need to click on a box to have the update installed.

It turns out Google Chrome wasn't the only thing it said needed updating, there were other products it 'reported.' Glad I hesitated and found out it's malware!

I'm using Firefox (I have other browsers) and I no longer have the problem.