FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Fitness vs Scales (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/10585-fitness-vs-scales.html)

Kumochi 01-25-2014 05:14 AM

Fitness vs Scales

I am a scales addict. The bad thing about that is when the scales goes up my motivation takes a hit. This time my main motivation for being here is to get fit. Weight loss will be a natural consequence of that however right now it is more important to me to be able to keep active. I'm hoping that improved mobility will get me through those times when the scales does it's own thing.

I am going to start using the Wii to monitor my improvement in fitness. Are any of you here with the same goals?

lildebbieg 01-25-2014 05:56 AM

Hi Mary - When I first started (this time around!) to lose weight, I came back to fitday and started by counting calories and upping my activity. I too found the scale to predict my mood and it still does to a point. I haven't counted calories since October...it was driving me crazy and I was obsessed with the calorie number as well as the scale number. I decided to just do my best to eat well focus on my fitness level and to stop counting calories and "let the chips fall where they may" so to speak. By removing the calorie counting and focusing on exercise and trusting in myself to eat well, that it would be enough to get the scale moving. As a result, I've felt much less frustrated, the scale doesn't affect me the same way it used to before I focused on fitness and I've lost 20 pounds!

If you don't mind counting calories, then maybe you could remove the scale frustration. If you stick to your calorie allotment and exercise faithfully and regularly, then the scale will move in the right direction and your fitness level will increase....and if you're no longer weighing it can't get you down!

cjohnson728 01-25-2014 06:31 AM

I've been known to give the scale to my husband to hide. Even though I intellectually know there are a ton of potential reasons for fluctuation, that does not translate into emotional peace :o. At one point, I moved from a weight goal to fitness goals, and I ended up dropping more pounds, so maybe a different focus is the key.

lildebbieg 01-25-2014 07:23 AM

Cassi - You have an effective way of getting to the point. I always seem to ramble on trying to make my point :rolleyes:

Kumochi 01-25-2014 10:41 AM

Thanks guys. I am still counting calories mainly because I like seeing the number when I eat right. I'm not ready to give up my scales although I may try limiting it to Fridays.

MarineO1 01-26-2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kumochi (Post 105248)
Thanks guys. I am still counting calories mainly because I like seeing the number when I eat right. I'm not ready to give up my scales although I may try limiting it to Fridays.

It's good thinking indeed. You need not to much worried about it .Just concentrate on your goal .

das2410 03-29-2014 01:42 AM

All you bathroom scales junkies! Remember that the "numbers" are only a bite of information. There is much more to fitness. For me, if I don't weigh myself EVERY MORNING, I find myself eating things I shouldn't (Fast energy, low nutrition carbs) with the notion that I still weigh what the scales said last Saturday only to find that the next Saturday, I have gained 2 or 3 pounds! I am trying to maintain what seems to be my healthy weight (number) while trying to convince my body to distribute the weight more appropriately! For all of you struggling with weight adjustment, large or small, IT IS HARD WORK. Don't think you are going to get off easy because you only have 3 or 4 or 5 pounds to lose. It is just as hard to lose 5 pounds as it is to lose 50! Maybe harder! And if you have only a few pounds change, there is not much in the diet world that talks about losing (or gaining) only a few pounds. They don't understand US, but they expect US to understand THEM!

Froyo123 04-07-2014 06:35 PM

If you are a scale addict and want to try some good products you need to use scales which are manufacture by elite scales. Elite Scale - NTEP Industrial, Commercial, manufacture in California/USA and provide services there since many years.!

EmSlim 04-22-2014 09:44 PM

Hi all,

Kumochi I am very similar to you that my motivation takes a hit very easily. I do not know my weight currently, but I know I am not happy in my body at the moment.
Although I don't weigh myself I have been measuring my thighs and looking in the mirror in them far too often in a day. And my motivation takes a hit that way.

I think its all about trying to turn the negative into a positive. So now when I look in the mirror and don't like it, I think to myself, right, I am going to do something about this. And I always feel better for it.

I think I am similar to lildebbieg, I do not count calories, I just try to spread out my healthy food throughout the day and exercise, and I am slowly seeing a difference.

It is all about finding whats right for you

aiza55 05-14-2014 05:54 PM

Digital scales are always a few lbs off, so using a traditional one would be better.

Just keep in my they look terrible compared to digital ones.