FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Annoying(ly bad) habits I can't break... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/1019-annoying-ly-bad-habits-i-cant-break.html)

CarbMonster 06-04-2010 02:29 AM

-Justifying it when I bend or break the rules so I don't feel guilty. "I'm really tired and I have a lot of work to do, so I NEED this mocha latte right now to be more productive."

-Giving in to my husband's eating habits. He has some kind of frozen treat every night, as a ritual. He loves candy, ice cream, fried foods, and fast food. And he never gains weight!!

-Eating while I cook. I tell myself I'm just sustaining my hunger until mealtime, but when you "sample" every single ingredient before using it, it's like you end up eating 2 dinners!

-Eating out. I really can't get around it because of all the travelling I do, but I should pack more food on-the-go, and actually eat it when I do pack it. Socially, though, that's so hard!

-JUICE. I loooove juice and so does my hubby. We always have OJ, fruit punch, some kind of berry juice, and often iced tea. I'm always thirsty and at home it's hard to go for the water when there's so much "nutritious" juice around... it's just so loaded with calories!!

-Eating for "economical reasons." (I guess this goes along with my first one). Oh, "those chips they put out at the restaurant are free! Time to chow down!" Or..."75-cent hot dog day? I'm in!!" Or.. "I paid a lot of money for this meal so I need to eat it all and not let it go to waste!"

-Being picky. I hate meat. I'm selective with my fruits & veggies. I'm not usually in the mood for nuts. If I could eat rice for every meal, I would!!

blackrhino2 06-04-2010 02:43 AM

-eating when i'm not hungry
-when i go to parties i always eat the cake and the bad appetizers
-finishing containers of things when I should just leave the rest of whatever is left in there for another day
-eating my roommate's chocolate
-being a sucker for cravings of candy/sugar

almeeker 06-04-2010 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by jennygoodman (Post 10195)
3. Giving up on myself when using the elliptical. I have a hard time pushing myself to do better. I usually do 10 to 15 minutes, decide that I'm huffing and puffing too much, and quit. But I know if I would just push myself, I could probably go for another 10 to 15 minutes, at least!

Jennygoodman, I remembered reading this post, but couldn't remember for the life of me where you put it. Anyway what I wanted to say was that I also HATE being on the elliptical for the first 10-15 minutes, it takes me that long to get warmed up and then it feels good to me. So I would highly suggest you get on and make yourself go for at least 20-30 minutes, then you'll get your runner's high and can skip the marijuana.... Which by the way I don't suggest. I have no idea if it gives you more endurance, but the damage to your lungs is not worth the trade off.

mburgos3 06-24-2010 10:27 AM

- Diet Soda.
0 calories, 0 guilt. What? There's sodium in it? Oh snap.

- Saying "yes" whenever people offer some kind of food.
They've taken the time to extend a kindness to me and I have a bad habit of accepting. And my brother does this to me. Every. Single. Day. With brownies or donuts or chili or something that I totally don't need.

- "Healthy" fast food.
Being a student and a research assistant doesn't give me much time to cook. I have about 30 minutes a day to actually eat (not counting breakfast in the morning) so I usually just swing by a Chipotle and get a vegetarian burrito bowl or something. Or I eat fresh and down a 12" so I don't have to eat later.

- Not reading labels or checking nutrition facts prior to stuffing something in my face.
Because eff you, Panera. Why do you have salads that have over 25 grams of fat? I am never stopping in again.

- Not sleeping/going to the gym.
Again, student/research assistant = no time for anything. Wake up at 6 am, classes from 8-3pm, work from 4-10pm. Oh look, the whole day is gone and I didn't go to the gym. WHAT A SHOCKER.

jennygoodman 06-28-2010 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 12606)
Jennygoodman, I remembered reading this post, but couldn't remember for the life of me where you put it. Anyway what I wanted to say was that I also HATE being on the elliptical for the first 10-15 minutes, it takes me that long to get warmed up and then it feels good to me. So I would highly suggest you get on and make yourself go for at least 20-30 minutes, then you'll get your runner's high and can skip the marijuana.... Which by the way I don't suggest. I have no idea if it gives you more endurance, but the damage to your lungs is not worth the trade off.

Lol I have never smoked marijuana in my life!!! Nor will I ever! I used to smoke cigarettes though...I quit in January. :)

I have gotten a lot better on the elliptical. On days that I'm feeling really ambitious and have nothing else to do, I will stay on for 45 minutes to an hour. Most days I do 30-35 minutes, and then usually some free weights or ab and leg work. And yes, it takes me a while to warm up to the idea of working out...since I have problems staying motivated, I distract myself by reading while I'm on the elliptical. My book covers up the time-monitor and I have no idea how long I've been going. When I read, I go the entire time without stopping (unless I stop for 15 seconds to take a drink of water). Keeping my mind occupied is what helps my endurance!!! :D

Lizzycritter 06-28-2010 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jennygoodman (Post 14616)
Lol I have never smoked marijuana in my life!!! Nor will I ever! I used to smoke cigarettes though...I quit in January. :)

It may not have been you, but Almeeker's not (totally :p) crazy. Someone somewhere on this forum did reccommend smoking pot before hitting the elliptical to boost endurance. I'd think the post-workout munchies would derail all that progress but I'm not a pot smoker either, so what would I know? LOL

almeeker 06-28-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter (Post 14640)
It may not have been you, but Almeeker's not (totally :p) crazy. Someone somewhere on this forum did reccommend smoking pot before hitting the elliptical to boost endurance. I'd think the post-workout munchies would derail all that progress but I'm not a pot smoker either, so what would I know? LOL

I wasn't referring to you lizzy, it was another poster. I'm an asthmatic, so smoking pot is out for me, truly it was out of the question before the asthma diagnosis as well. I'm more of a "thy body is a temple" sort, well at least that's what my room mate with the tattoos and multiple body piercings called me. I'm not into self mutilation and pot falls into that spectrum, regardless of any defense some might have for the use of pot, I've watched it turn beautiful, intelligent, talented people into ravaged homeless bums. Life is too precious for that.

VitoVino 02-08-2012 04:09 AM

bump

canary52 02-08-2012 04:25 AM

I don't smoke pot since all it ever did was to make me tired, paranoid and hungry and I am all of those things naturally anyway.

Bad habits:

Eating when I am not hungry ( as in "social " eating)
Emotional eating (I'll show her! I'll eat this bag of chips!!!!)
Do not hydrate enoguh (water water everywhere... and I only take tiny sips)

taubele 02-08-2012 05:17 AM

Taking "tastes" of food as I'm cooking it. There's no reason to taste it five times, but I do.

I think my worst habit is the compulsion to eat something "naughty" when I am alone or when people leave the room. I used to be a "secret eater" (i.e., when I'd make bad food choices, I'd go eat it in my car, or in a closet, or when I was home alone) because I didn't want to be judged. It became such a habit that when I find myself alone my first impulse is to grab the least healthy thing in the room, even when I am not hungry!!

I try to substitute this by grabbing and chugging some water, but something I still find myself in front of an open fridge without even being consciously aware of having gone to do it!! :eek: