FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Off-Topic (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/)
-   -   Annoying(ly bad) habits I can't break... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/off-topic/1019-annoying-ly-bad-habits-i-cant-break.html)

NessaSonic 05-06-2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 10224)
NessaSonic, 0.8 for this week is really good!! think how pissed you'd be if the 0.8 was going in the opposite direction...

yeah- that's why I need to break the habit of setting myself up for disappointment. I kick my butt and know i've worked so hard, so i imagine i've lost way more weight than i actually have when i step on the scale (I'm 212lbs, so I have quite a bit to lose, and I've only lost 23lbs, so i'm still near the "beginning" of my journey). Then i become down even though it's still a loss. I'm finally over one pound for the week, I only have today and tomorrow before I weigh in "officially" on sunday. Someone suggested tracking every single day to see if there's a pattern, because each mid-week i seem to gain a lb or two, then go down a little further than I was before. we'll see i guess...

blackrhino2 05-07-2010 12:31 AM

yeah I totally hear you. I would get frustrated that way too. I don't have a scale so I can't weigh myself everyday. I joined WW years ago with my mom and now I'm a life-timer so I don't need to pay. But I have had plenty of weeks where I feel like I have been perfect and scale doesn't reflect it. Sometimes I think my body is a week off from habits. Like if I'm great one week, it won't show up on the scale till the next...

don't have super high expectations to lose weight fast because this is the slowest process everrr. it just is and it never actually ends. just try and be really proud of yourself for doing this.

also keep in mind that, supposedly, if you lose more than 1-2 lbs per week it's considered unsustainable and you're more likely to gain it back.

jennygoodman 05-07-2010 01:08 AM

Almeeker, you sound exactly like me! lol - I buy the sugar free fudgecicles...and then eat like 3 of them. Granted, they're "only" 35 calories apiece, but still. I feel like a heffalump after I eat them.

I feel better reading your guys' posts...not that I want you all to have bad habits, but now I don't feel so alone! :)

almeeker 05-07-2010 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by jennygoodman (Post 10246)
Almeeker, you sound exactly like me! lol - I buy the sugar free fudgecicles...and then eat like 3 of them. Granted, they're "only" 35 calories apiece, but still. I feel like a heffalump after I eat them.

I feel better reading your guys' posts...not that I want you all to have bad habits, but now I don't feel so alone! :)

Which brand is 35 calories?

cjohnson728 05-07-2010 01:13 AM

Ohhh...just "finishing up" what is left in the container, if there's only a bit left. I did that last night with frozen yogurt and ended up eating double the serving size...for no good reason!

jennygoodman 05-07-2010 01:44 AM

almeeker - I buy the generic brand that our local store carries (HyVee). Anyway, they are 70 calories per serving, and a serving size is 2 bars. I kind of came across them randomly (I usually don't eat fudgecicles, but had a craving one day lol). Normally I eat the Popsicle brand Sugar Free popsicles, which are only 15 calories...those I eat like 3 of as well, becasue I'm addicted to popsicles!

wellmanjs 05-07-2010 07:28 AM

yup... i buy rice cakes (45cals/piece, no fat, high fiber) but i end up eating at least 7 in one sitting... (sometimes the entire 14 in the bag...) i may just have to stop eating them all together, because now i just want to eat that many everytime i start.... i hate being a binge eater...

feline1313 05-30-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jennygoodman (Post 10195)
So I figure if I call myself out on all the bad choices I make, maybe I'll find some motivation to change...

1. Diet soda! (I justify drinking it because I am a stickler for calories, and the bottle says zero, so it makes me feel better).

2. That second bowl of frozen raspberries with Cool Whip Free. Yeah, it's "Free"...if you eat the serving size. I, however, scoop it on like it's ice cream.

3. Giving up on myself when using the elliptical. I have a hard time pushing myself to do better. I usually do 10 to 15 minutes, decide that I'm huffing and puffing too much, and quit. But I know if I would just push myself, I could probably go for another 10 to 15 minutes, at least!

Hi!

Well, .8# in one week isn't bad at all... a "healthy" goal is 1-2 per week... That being said, I am going for 2.5 per week... am I going to achieve that every week until Christmas... we'll see!

Diet Soda isn't good for you, obviously... but who wants to drink water all the time? I've found that regular coffee on crushed ice (occasionally with a packet of splenda) is a GREAT substitution for me. It gives me a robustly flavored drink, but spares the aspartame & artificial ingredients. I still order diet soda when I go out to eat, but you may want to try it.

Cool Whip Free on top of frozen berries is super yummy, for sure.... and berries are certainly very good for you. Do you have a food processor? You can take a nice ripe banana & whip the cool whip into it, maybe with a pinch of cinnamon, and VIOLA you've got the same volume of your old cool whip but packed full of rich nutrition (potassium not withstanding) and you still have your delicious berries and cream!

As far as the elliptical... If I had an absolute answer for that, I'd be a rich lady. I do have some tricks that work very well for me... but they are a bit taboo... Firstly, try to give yourself 30 minutes before your work out to "pump yourself up" Put on your tennis shoes & workout gear and go about your typical routine. You'll see yourself as you walk past mirrors and windows and it can help get you into the mood. You may want to try a workout supplement at this time as well. They usually have some kind of stimulant which can help with motivation. Remember that working out longer is better than working out harder, for weightloss... So if you can make it to 30 or 40 minutes on a very low level it's better than 10 or 15 minutes of higher intensity workout. Finally, and more taboo.... Marijuana absolutely helps with longevity on workout machines. It is legal where I am (they're about to start selling it in regular stores here). I use it right before working out and can consistently go 65 minutes without much struggle at all. The thing about this that can be difficult, though, is that you must put it away except for working out... otherwise you'll have to answer to the whole box of wheat crackers or chips in the cupboard.

My weakness? Alcohol, hands down.... I still maintain a low-cal diet (and work out 7 days a week) but according to my chart I intake 28% of my calories from booze.... not good at all. I drink regular vodka with club soda and a squeeze of lime, so at least there's not a bunch of other junk in it.... still, not good... Need to cut back for certain.:rolleyes:

tandoorichicken 05-30-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by feline1313 (Post 12130)
Finally, and more taboo.... Marijuana absolutely helps with longevity on workout machines. It is legal where I am (they're about to start selling it in regular stores here). I use it right before working out and can consistently go 65 minutes without much struggle at all.

But not if you're lifting weights - you need all your thoughts in the same place for that. Though it might make packing on muscle mass easier after a hard weight training session - you can eat your way to ripped-ness :p

dizzy_44 05-31-2010 12:40 AM

Hi Jenny...This thread is not large enough nor do I have enough time to list all my annoyingly bad habits. But here's a couple:

Like you, Diet Coke is my friend (addiction), and i don't see it changing, so I'm not even gonna lie. I do drink more water now though.

I HATE exercise!!! I can do heavy gardening for 6-8 hours, paint my porch and shed, mow the lawn, or anything else, but don't ask me to walk to the corner store to buy my diet coke when I have a perfectly functional car sitting in the laneway. I know I have to do it but I can come up with every excuse on the planet not to.

I'm hoping to change some of these habits, but it's pretty hard...they've been a lifetime in the making.