FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Nutrition & labeling (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/)
-   -   What should I look for on the label? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/9298-what-should-i-look-label.html)

lorib64 03-13-2013 09:51 AM

What should I look for on the label?

I have high lipids and my doctor wants me to decrease fats and sugars. He told me that fat should be less than 30% of the total calories and that snacks should be about 100 calories. I can see some things that are obviously high fat like peanut butter, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for as far as sugars. My whole family needs a diet/exercise overhaul and we've made some changes but it's hard to know where to start.

piwacket 04-06-2013 01:50 PM

Hi Lori,

A big mistake people make is buying the fat free version of food. Most fat free products have a high amount of sugar for flavoring because sugar has no fat!!!! Honey is also very high in calories as is agave syrup. If you use agave sugar, make sure you buy a pure form as many products on the shelves are so processed that they are just as bad for you as the very high glucose corn syrup that is added to so much processed food, again for flavor. I have found that Truvia works very well in foods like oatmeal or in coffee and tea. I prefer it to Stevia which, to my taste buds, leaves an after taste. If you can serve lean meats like chicken and fresh water fish, burger meat that is 92% fat free and the loin cuts of beef and pork and then add fresh fruit and vegetables to the meals, you'll be on the road to a low fat, good carb and good protein diet. I did this after I had my first child and added 1 hour of aerobic activity 5 days a week and I lost 55 lbs in 2 months. My cholesterol also dropped to a combined 138. I am doing this now to lose my menopause weight and I am losing between 1 to 2 pounds a day. Of course this will taper off as I get closer to my appropriate weight. Note that I do not eat bread, rice, potatoes or pasta. They store to fat, especially if eaten later that 5:30PM when most people become more sedentary. If you cannot live without those foods, try to eat them early in the day so that you have time to burn them off instead of storing them. Good luck!

Rengetfit 05-31-2013 04:52 PM

My husband is in the same boat. This has been hard, because he is so food focused!

I cut processed foods. Too much salt, fat and refined carbs. Basically we buy foods in their most basic form and we eat two vegetarian meals a week. It involves more food prep and planning, but it has been worth it.

I'd like to encourage you though, it's hard at first. CRAVINGS!!! But it gets better and your preferences will change.

Peanut butter isn't bad, just limit yourself and there are better choices on the shelf, like natural peanut butter with no added sugars, oils and much less salt.

Stephany5846 11-06-2013 04:19 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Party Snack Recipes: The Ultimate Party Snack Recipe Book, Quick and Easy Canapes and More!

Kathy13118 11-06-2013 05:27 PM

I really like fat-free cottage cheese and soft fat-free cream cheese. They don't have any sugar added. Just today, I mixed some store-made ham salad with an equal amount of soft fat-free cream cheese. The cream cheese has xanthum gum, a thickener, and one thing I don't like so much is the slight 'gummy' texture it can give a product. It tastes fine, however. The ham salad actually tastes BETTER to me with the non-fat cream cheese added. There isn't much of that xanthum gum texture when it's 'diluted down.'

Fat-free Greek yogurt is also tasty. And fat-free sour cream to me tastes a bit like fat-free yogurt.