Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Nutrition & labeling
Why is the sodium count so high if i am not adding salt >

Why is the sodium count so high if i am not adding salt

Notices

Why is the sodium count so high if i am not adding salt

Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Why is the sodium count so high if i am not adding salt

Carrots cooked (400+g of sodium) really? I don't add salt but my sodium counts are very high, i eat veggies like carrots and spinach and chard and caulflower how is it possible and just 1 slice of bacon in the morning. Also not adding salt to meat
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure, but there have been a number of folks pointing out that the sodium counts are very inaccurate. Hopefully we will get corrections soon.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default carrots

Originally Posted by GayleJames
Carrots cooked (400+g of sodium) really? I don't add salt but my sodium counts are very high, i eat veggies like carrots and spinach and chard and caulflower how is it possible and just 1 slice of bacon in the morning. Also not adding salt to meat
1 medium carrot has about 42mg of sodium.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

Seems like the nutritional values for "cooked" foods assume that you are adding salt and fat.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
FitDay Member

Also, if you are eating chicken, FitDay assumes that you are eating chicken that is injected with a salt solution. They do not provide an option for a natural chicken (or turkey) meat that contains much less sodium.

I just discovered this after using the site for over a year. Sodium was never a concern for me, but as my blood pressure has crept up, I'm interested in tracking it. Apparently this will not be possible unless I make a whole lot of custom foods. Also, if you use raw values for veggies, you will get something closer to reality.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

A cup of sliced carrots from a can has 353 mg sodium. A cup of boiled carrots with no salt, cooked, boiled and drained, has 90 mg of sodium, which is very close to the sodium when carrots are cooked from frozen (no salt). The same amount of carrots, boiled and drained from frozen but with salt, has 431 mg. sodium. Since there's so much of a range, to be really low in sodium means boiling and draining (or microwaving) without any salt in the boiling liquid.

Do people usually cook vegetables in water without any salt? I can't even guess - experience tells me that salt is often added to cooking water (pasta's cooking water, for example).

If you're not using salt in your cooking water, look at the values for 'carrots, cooked, boiled, drained, no salt' in the fitday food database.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 11-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting question re: adding salt in cooking water. I suspect that most people habitually add salt until it becomes a concern healthwise, and then start holding back.

Values for raw meats give a no-salt value also, assuming it is not a seasoned meat like sausage.