Notices

Nutritional value label question

Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nutritional value label question

So I was looking through my fitday today and what I have to eat and it hit me....maybe I'm doing this wrong. I'll use chicken for example. I buy the frozen chicken from wal mart. I took the nutritional values from the bag and entered them as a custom food in fitday. We will say that 4oz = 200 calories(which I now assume is for the raw chicken as is in the bag). So I cook the chicken and then measure out 4oz and eat it according to my fitday. This is how I've always done it.

BUT.....the values on the bag are probably as is, correct? So, if I cook the chicken before I measure it out, then the chicken's weight is lighter. This causes me to have to use more chicken to get 4oz. Let's just say the same piece of chicken weighs 2oz after it's cooked. So I double that to get 4oz of cooked chicken. Does this not mean that I have also doubled the amount of raw chicken which is what the values are for? In essence, I am getting 400 calories instead of 200?

Am I thinking of this wrong?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

If it's the walmart brand and says it has 12 servings, 1 piece per serving, the nutrition info on the label is for each piece so the cooked vs frozen weight doesn't matter.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

I guess I'm confused how it wouldn't matter. The weight, which I enter into Fitday to get my total cals, is not the same frozen vs cooked. We all know that frozen will weigh more than cooked. So if the values reference cooked or raw, then the other has to be different....in my mind anyway and that's what I'm trying to get straight.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Because the actual mass of the caloric part of the food doesn't change when frozen.

If I have a chicken breast that is 200 calories, as long as I don't add anything to it, it's still 200 calories. Freezing and heating neither destroy nor add calories.

I wish they did. Destroy, that is.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Because the actual mass of the caloric part of the food doesn't change when frozen.

If I have a chicken breast that is 200 calories, as long as I don't add anything to it, it's still 200 calories. Freezing and heating neither destroy nor add calories.

I wish they did. Destroy, that is.
Oh yeah, I know that. But it's the weight that I'm talking about. 200 calories in a raw 4 oz chicken breast is 200 calories in a 2.5oz cooked chicken breast.

But since this thread, I have weighed out a 4oz raw piece of chicken, cooked that same piece, and weighed it afterwards. The cooked weight is what I use as my portion and I use the same values on the label.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

As long as you log "cooked" if you weigh it cooked, and "raw" if you weigh it raw, you are fine. I believe FitDay gives you the option for either but I can't recall.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
As long as you log "cooked" if you weigh it cooked, and "raw" if you weigh it raw, you are fine. I believe FitDay gives you the option for either but I can't recall.
They do if it's not a custom food, which this is. That is why I was having this issue. I used the cooked and what not on my sirloin, but since my chicken is the bagged wal mart stuff, I went with their nutritional values and made a custom food, but once you do that, the "cooked" options and stuff are not available....or at least I haven't seen them. I should have made that clear up front. I realize that probably would have skipped a lot of confusion. My mistake

But it was still an informative thread though. Thanks guys