Notices

Anyone have any Quick healthy recipes

Old 04-03-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Anyone have any Quick healthy recipes

I'm a huge cooker, but I'm coming to the point where everything I'm cooking is getting played out! Do you have any lunch recipes that are healthy, or even any Dinner recipes that I can use? I don't eat beef or pork, so I normally stick to Chix, and fish... a little bit of beef but ony in moderation.. Looking more a long the lines of low cal, high protein, and yummmyyy PLEASE HELP
Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a specific recipe and it's different every time, but what about doing a stir fry? I will use whatever meat I have on hand...chicken, shrimp, and/or beef, veggies (broccoli, carrots, green onions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, peppers...you can put in whatever you want), some red pepper paste if you like it hot, and a few tablespoons of bottled stir fry sauce such as hoisin. I serve it over brown rice. It's a good way to make a little meat go a long way, or you can increase the amount of meat or throw some nuts in for extra protein.

I'm not sure if you mean things to fix for kids' lunches or not, but one of my favorite lunches is a cup of Greek yogurt (very high in protein) with some fresh fruit mixed in (strawberries and bananas are generally my preference) and 1/2 oz. chopped almonds on top. It's very satisfying, filling, high in protein, and "yummy"
Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

I like the Greek yogurt too, sometimes I eat it with fruit or homemade jam and other times I mix in a tablespoon of taco mix and dab it onto the top of a taco salad. When I do that I skip the cheese and don't miss it at all. The other thing I like to make is soup, toss whatever veggies you want into a crock pot add water, bullion cubes, meat is optional. Soooo yummy and much much better than canned. Oh and it's getting to be grilling season, so you can maybe mix up the old favorites with the grill, yummmm I might grill tonight even.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
FitDay Member

I have found a new recipe that I love. I make tacos using low carb wheat tortilla and ground turkey. I use taco seasoning on the turkey and put lettuce, tomatoes and salsa on it. Very yummy, very filling. In fact, I just had them tonight! The best part is, I made the switch from hamburger to turkey to try on my family tonight and they never noticed the difference.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

I am making a quick and easy chili all the time now. It is just a pound or so of 99% fat free ground turkey, a can of kidney beans, can of diced tomato and I throw in some fresh cut peppers. I add chili spice and chipotle pepper. I also like extra cumin. I make sure that the tomatoes do not have any added sugar. I cut up lots of organic peppers once a week and put them in the freezer so I can add them to recipes. I like to put on soy cheese shreds and I also love the greek fat free yogurt. I bet it would be good on this!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I like the Greek yogurt too, sometimes I eat it with fruit or homemade jam and other times I mix in a tablespoon of taco mix and dab it onto the top of a taco salad. When I do that I skip the cheese and don't miss it at all. The other thing I like to make is soup, toss whatever veggies you want into a crock pot add water, bullion cubes, meat is optional. Soooo yummy and much much better than canned. Oh and it's getting to be grilling season, so you can maybe mix up the old favorites with the grill, yummmm I might grill tonight even.
I love my crockpot! I find, though, if I add meat, with a very little bit of salt and pepper, I tend not to need the stock cubes. The meat and veg add loads of flavour to the broth :-)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

I love to do soup and sandwich combos for lunch. On the weekend, I'll make a big pot of soup (enough servings for a week's worth of lunches) and pick up some low fat/low sodium lunchmeats. I search for healthy soup recipies online (cream of mushroom or squash made with low fat half n half, you can do veggie and bean soups too). It's filling and because I have more than one component (I have to pick up one thing, set it down, pick up another), I find myself feeling really full without eating like crazy.

Other sandwich ideas, buy pita bread and make chicken or tuna salad to stuff in the pitas. I can make one batch of stuffing that will last all week to keep from prepping food every day.

I've even started making my own hummus and salsa to take for snacks with veggies during the week. Both are quick if you have a food processor, I myself have to do all the chopping by hand!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default favorite quick meal

One of my new favorite quick meals is based on a recipe from the Hungry Girl Cookbook (my favorite for quick low calorie food) Chicken cut into strips. You can use chicken breast but I use tenders. Get Fiber One cereal (original) and run it through the food processor. Then I use Franks Red hot instead of egg beaters or some other liquid. I also add red pepper flakes to the ground Fiber One but you can add any spices you like depending on the heat you like. Coat the chicken in the Red Hot, then the Fiber One. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for ten minutes a side. It will get crispier if you spray it will cooking spray before you throw it in the oven.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
FitDay Member

Default fast egg sandwich

A poached egg, a toasted 100 calorie english muffin and a slice of fat free cheese. A slice of lean ham or canadian bacon as a luxury.