FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Nutrition & labeling (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/)
-   -   Should I log vitamin supplements? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/7080-should-i-log-vitamin-supplements.html)

AshleyNicole43 03-29-2012 01:07 PM

Should I log vitamin supplements?

I did a search to even see if any were in the database. I see protein and meal replacement supplements, but nothing for things like vitamins. I was curious if I should log these since I do take the and vitamins and minerals from our food are logged.

I also take extra vitamin D in the winter to prevent colds, glucosamine/chondrontin for my achy knees, and ginko for my quirky brain.

Anyway, I wanted to see if you guys did this as well, and if so what's the best way to do it, or if you think it's not so important.

VitoVino 03-29-2012 02:46 PM

How to log supplements:

Permalink: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post68619

AshleyNicole43 03-30-2012 11:15 AM

I think I'll have to dedicate an afternoon to read through that FAQ, haha. Thanks.

VitoVino 03-31-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyNicole43 (Post 77831)
I think I'll have to dedicate an afternoon to read through that FAQ, haha. Thanks.

Sorry if you were "killed with kindness" but I take health seriously and if I can help a few people along the way it's even better. :)

Welcome to the Forums, don't be a stranger. Strange is OK, that's me. :D

RunbikeSki 04-06-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyNicole43 (Post 77753)
I did a search to even see if any were in the database. I see protein and meal replacement supplements, but nothing for things like vitamins. I was curious if I should log these since I do take the and vitamins and minerals from our food are logged.

I also take extra vitamin D in the winter to prevent colds, glucosamine/chondrontin for my achy knees, and ginko for my quirky brain.

Anyway, I wanted to see if you guys did this as well, and if so what's the best way to do it, or if you think it's not so important.

I say definitely log your vitamins. If you look at some of the graphical display options, %RDA is one of them. This will help you see if you are meeting your vitamin and mineral requirements. Be aware, however, that not all foods have all of the vitamins and minerals printed on the package, so sometimes it FitDay may indicate you are low of something (phosphorus comes to mind) simply because it isn't commonly reported in foods.

All you need to do is set up a "custom food", type in the values on the vitamin bottle, and then you will have that available for your food tracking.

There isn't really any place to record the ginko and gluco/chon, however - they aren't standard RDAs. You can, however just set up a custom food for them with nothing in the table if you want to keep track of your intake. Some people do this for water.

AshleyNicole43 04-08-2012 03:34 AM

Thanks for all the help guys :cool:

The nutrition tab has really helped me. I've noticed what I've been lacking in, but I was also unaware as to how much I was getting through food already. I thought it would have been a lot lower in many areas. However, I've also been eating better food, but I wouldn't have truly known my nutrient intake otherwise.

Also, this multivitamin I've been taking says to take it 3 times a day, but I've been doing it twice. Now that I know what I get from food already, I can actually take the mutli once a day! It fills in a couple of areas that I'm lacking in, but I really don't need to take 3 a day to have a balanced diet. I can save even more money buy making it last longer.

I notice I'm almost always lacking in potassium, maybe that's why my leg muscles cramp when I'm just walking up a hill. I'm looking into foods which are high in potassium, and I'm going to integrate them into my diet more consistently.

What a great site feature :)

volleyballgranny 04-09-2012 12:27 AM

Yes! Log your vitamins!

I have put my vitamins in under my custom foods. I take Amway vitamins (Nutrilite and Ocean Essentials) for the most part, and they are loaded with micronutrients. I found that when I compared my fitday nutrition log (average for two weeks) with the blood tests done at my doctor's office, the nutrition log was very accurate. I check my nutrition log at the end of the day--and it tells me if I need to take an extra supplement to reach my goal. The only one that consistently falls short is folic acid, I believe, because there is no way to enter it in the custom foods--and it is in my supplments AND in my protein shake powder.

ElaraGloriana 07-11-2012 05:15 PM

Great thread, super information! Thanks! :D

badgolfer828 07-12-2012 07:58 AM

I don't track my vitamin, actually.

I really try to get the majority of my vitamins through food. If I don't log my vitamins I can see where I'm falling short. Of course I do take my vitamin almost daily but I let it fill in the holes in my diet instead of trying to fill in the holes in my diet with a vitamin.

Hope that last line makes sense.

sewdream19 08-09-2012 01:17 AM

Yes, it makes sense. A multivitamin's purpose is basically to fill in the empty spots that you didn't fill when eating food during the day. You can get all of your vitamins by eating the right foods. A multivitamin just helps a little. Don't think you can eat junk food all day and then get your vitamins from a multivitamin though. You do need to eat good healthy food too. :)
http://mobiletabletguide.16mb.com/img2/s.gif

oceanblueprofessional 03-18-2014 10:12 PM

Heart healthy vitamins are essential for our body that provides numerous health benefits. Vitamins D supplement[/URL], Omega 3 supplements are the great sources for the growth of our body. Omega-3 fatty acids are needed in our daily diets for our bodies to work normally.Studies shows that it reduce risk of coronary heart disease and also give you healthy skin and hair.

brucewayne1411 04-13-2014 06:53 PM

Is there any herbal product that can be used as health supplement without any sideeffects..??

PeteMoss60 05-06-2014 06:11 AM

I used to log all of the vitamins and supplements that I was taking in a small notebook along with food intake and activities/exercise (this was years ago before I had a computer). I quickly learned that logging vitamins is pretty much useless and rather tedious as I was taking the same vitamins/supps at the same doses each day. Kind of pointless to log them every single day. Nowadays, I just make a note at the end of every month that summarizes my vitamin supplementation for the past month, just to keep good records.

Kathy13118 05-06-2014 06:24 AM

It's a little easier in fitday because once you log your supplements and add them, you can you your 'recent foods' to be the source of your current day tracking.

Works well if these are things you take every day.

fitnessbyshane 05-20-2014 11:36 PM

I use a company called IDlife for my vitamins and supplements. They design vitamins specifically for you. They offer a FREE health assessment that compares your answers to a database of search and then they tell you exactly what you are missing in your diet. Its a fantastic tool to use. All their products are organic and they also offer meal replacement shakes and other products as well. GREAT Company. Message me if you want a link to the free assessment.