Notices

HFCS / Table Sugar

Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation HFCS / Table Sugar

A friend shared this video with me about high fructose corn syrup and table sugar (sucrose). They're basically the same thing, and basically kill you the same way. It's a little long to sit through, but worth it. Lots of information presented.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth With Dr. Robert Lustig - SUGAR SHOCK! Blog

John
Old 06-04-2010, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

I generally try not to eat too many processed foods so I think I'm staying away from HFCS. Although I probably eat HFCS on the weekends when I go out to eat.

Does anyone want to comment on their use of artificial sweeteners and if they think that is better or worse than just using natural sugar?

I use 4 bags of artificial sweeteners a day. I'm not sure if that is a lot or not.

Do you think I should switch to just using sugar?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

Not sure where I read it, but someone said recently that they stay away from HFCS primarily because it's found in so many over-processed foods.

Whether it's really worse for you than sugar or not, I think that the above idea is a really good one. Sort of like the spotted owl being used as an indicator of a particular habitat, HFCS is an indicator of over-processed foods...
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Here's one reason why I stay away from HFCS. When researchers do diabetes experiments on rats, in which they induce diabetes in order to see which drugs ease, treat, or reverse diabetes, what do they use to do it? HFCS. Common table sugar doesn't seem to work the same way. It's almost impossible to get the rats to eat enough plain sugar to cause acute diabetes, but with HFCS it happens in a very short time.

Think of the amount of HFCS hidden away in grocery products, at restaurants, in blended coffee syrups. We get far more fructose than our body can handle these days, when our ancestors got fructose only in the fruit they ate, and even then, the amount ingested by hunter-gatherer fruit fiends paled in comparison to the amount we have access to today.

I'd rather keep my fructose consumption to a minimum, so I skip out on anything with HFCS in it if I can help it.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by slimcurls
I think, sugar is better bc its natural, but it still has to be taken in moderation. But, I dont toss out items with HFCS.
I couldn't agree more. The more research I've been doing the more I've come to realize that I'd rather take my chances with sugar, in moderation. I doubt I'm getting more than a couple of teaspoons a day as it is, and since I've been eating clean my desire for sweets has been nil.