Notices

Preffered Measuring choice?

Old 02-21-2010, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

Default Preffered Measuring choice?

Ok so this is gonna sound wierd to some maybe but here goes. Do you weigh your food or measure it? Which do you prefer. I mean it can say 3/4 Cup and 29 grams so do you use a measuring cup and trust that it'll be 29 grams or do you just weigh everything. I am finding that I weigh everything put it all in grams most of the time and enter it into my food journal that way. I think I do this also so when I put together letts say like tuna salad today. I put it all in grams and when it's made I add up all the grams I added together in the bowl and divide it by serving I prepared so that I can portion out the right amount. Does this make sense? My husband thinks I'm crazy he says just grab a measuring cup and measure it. Am I being too anal about this whole thing. I tend to have a bit of OCD when it comes to certain things.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by HGBilbruck
Ok so this is gonna sound wierd to some maybe but here goes. Do you weigh your food or measure it? Which do you prefer. I mean it can say 3/4 Cup and 29 grams so do you use a measuring cup and trust that it'll be 29 grams or do you just weigh everything. I am finding that I weigh everything put it all in grams most of the time and enter it into my food journal that way. I think I do this also so when I put together letts say like tuna salad today. I put it all in grams and when it's made I add up all the grams I added together in the bowl and divide it by serving I prepared so that I can portion out the right amount. Does this make sense? My husband thinks I'm crazy he says just grab a measuring cup and measure it. Am I being too anal about this whole thing. I tend to have a bit of OCD when it comes to certain things.
Thanks!

No, I do it by feel and it estimates a little. I have worked in a retirement home where they all measurement / weegde them and I know how much is about. I think if I go the roads then become a task of preparing food so I go in there to see.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

I use a measuring cup because I don't have a scale. I am now motivated to get a scale. You are not being anal. One of the big factors in losing weight is PORTION CONTROL. You are being very very smart! If you don't know the exact portion, you could easily eat hundreds of more calories per day than you think you are.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

I have measured in cups how much all of my dishes will hold. I'm lucky because my coffee cups hold exacty one measuring cup. So I eat most of my snacks out of a coffee cup lol. I find it's easier when the measuring cup and serving dish are the same dish.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Food Scale

I use a scale I just bought at Bed Bath and Beyond made by Cuisinart and weigh all my food and found it has made a big difference in my weight lost.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

I bought an el-cheapo scale at Target for $5. Measures in grams and ounces (up to 16 oz). Learned that a "portion" of meat is not the same size as MY fist!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

About 10 years ago I bought an ugly el cheapo and I hated the way it looked so I would always put it away after using it. Plus, if I moved the plate or bowl around it would give me different measurements so I had to make sure that the food was centered right on top of the scale. Bah! I hated measuring my food--it was so much trouble. When I started keeping track of my food again I just couldn't find the ugly old thing. I think its still hiding somewhere in the back of a cabinet...

So I sprung for a pretty, sleek & modern digital scale that I don't mind keeping on the kitchen counter. It's my favorite tool. It keeps me on track, is teaching me to recognize portion sizes and because it's so pretty I enjoy using it everyday. I hate feeling deprived (and usually do when dieting) so I made the scale a gift to myself, an investment in myself.

All of the nicer digital scales I saw came with a large and stable measuring surface so you can set a large dinner plate on it without having to hold it and it doesn't matter where on the plate you put the food the measurement is the same. I just set a plate on it before I turn it on and it automatically sets to zero-- I plate an item-get the measurement-press a button and the scale goes back to 0-serve the next item onto the plate-get the measurement-- push a button to zero it out again, etc. It takes 30 seconds to accurately weigh out an entire meal if I already know what my portion sizes are suppose to be. Fast and easy.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

i use both. for my meats i use a scale, because my meat portion needs to be exact on my plan. for my veggies i need to eat a min. of one cup of veggies so i don't worry if i go over a cup a little as i'm allowed as many veggies as i want as long as i get in 1 cup worth. for my carbs i just measure out 1/2 cup cooked rice, 1/2 cup potatoes, oatmeal etc. works for me.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

I use a scale. Not only do I feel that the measurement is more accurate than using cups - I'm getting EXACTLY a specific amount, but it's also a bit more convenient, at least for me. If I'm using cups, I have to measure the food and then transfer it to my plate. When I'm finished, I have to wash both the plate AND the measuring cup too. OTOH, with scale, I just place my plate on top, zero it out, and then spoon the correct (and accurate!) amount directly on to my plate.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Raijer
I use a scale. Not only do I feel that the measurement is more accurate than using cups - I'm getting EXACTLY a specific amount, but it's also a bit more convenient, at least for me. If I'm using cups, I have to measure the food and then transfer it to my plate. When I'm finished, I have to wash both the plate AND the measuring cup too. OTOH, with scale, I just place my plate on top, zero it out, and then spoon the correct (and accurate!) amount directly on to my plate.
I know exactly what you mean. Who wants to wash more dishes. I've been known to eat pineapple straight out of the measuring cup just to save on washing more dishes...lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.