Notices

Food choices for weight Gain (help?)

Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default Food choices for weight Gain (help?)

- -My goal is to gain weight (primarily in muscle, some fat is more than welcome. I am 5"8 and 129 pounds 20 years old (yea i know....).

- -So I have recently started a workout routine which basically exhausts myself out every 2 days. I basically work half my muscles until i can't move them on one day, then work the other half the next day, take a day off and continue the routine.

- -My eating habits used not to include breakfast- but otherwise are the same as they are now.

- - I have added a (large) bowl of cereal for breakfast, health bar with a banana or pear for snack, then i have lunch, unfortunately my lunch choices are bojangles, nothing but noodles, subway, arby's, wendy's, shiraz grill, and mexican. then i come home and have a choice to snack or not carrots with ranch, or chips and salsa, ect choices.

- -(estimated 3,000-3,300 cal, while burning 2,900-3,200 cal 49% carb, 15% protein, 36% fat 0% alcohol)

- ? - so my ultimate question is for suggestions in my eating habits or my over all weekly routine in order to efficiently help gain weight , primarily in muscle mass, however weight is alright also.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

You need more protein in your diet.
There is protein powder called "weight gain". Try that.
Cut your consumption of take out! Very bad!
Hope this helps
Old 01-19-2012, 06:54 AM
FitDay Member

Even thin people can have clogged arteries. I am not saying this to be rude. But you should limit the fast food lunches. Is there not a way that you can pack a salad or something to take with you to work?

I have no problem gaining weight but I'm sure that the weight I gain is not the kind that is desirable so i don't really have any advice there.

Best wishes in your journey.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Even thin people can have clogged arteries. I am not saying this to be rude. But you should limit the fast food lunches.
I agree with the sexy April on this.

I am a thin guy who has always had issues with gaining weight. Currently I am at my best: 138-142lbs (I fluctuate) and my ideal goal is 150. I am a bit shorter than you at 5'6" and older 25.

With that said, I can imagine that you would be quite skinny with the stats you provided. I use the word skinny because that is how I saw myself before - I was skinny. I remember when I was trying to break 125mark (I was in junior high) and it took me well into mid-high school to gain 5lbs. I ate anything I wanted without gaining an ounce. The metabolism is high. This could be your case too. My co-worker (early 30's & taller) is skinny and he eats anything.

The point that I am trying to make here is that you can eat and eat and eat. Yes you may gain weight, especially if you stop exercising, but it won't be the weight that you or your body will like. Just because a scale reads the weight you "should" be at, remember, that won't mean that you are healthy.

While I read your post I noticed one trend: you take extremes.

A good exercise does not equal not being able to move for 2 days. I recommend reevaluating your workout regimen, add A LOT of protein, rest your body, chose free weights vs machines, go for high weights/low reps, use multi-joint movements to work your entire body, etc. Muscle will weigh more than actual fat. Increasing your muscles should be your goal. Protein will help those muscles recover along with proper rest. If you lack sleep, your body will suffer. Focus yourself on muscle gain vs actual weight gain. Your body will look stronger and you should be able to gain that weight.

Nutrition is also important. Meals like Wendy's and Arbys won't provide you with the proper nutrients your body needs. Your muscles will be hungry so feed them protein. Lean meats is a good source, eggs, egg whites, etc.

Do your research as well. See what will fit with your lifestyle and what you will be happy with. Just do yourself a favor and be smart about it.

Last thing before I end this, remember that I called myself skinny before and now I see myself as thin (I prefer fit). Simply enough: I worked out and ate right. I ran some marathons and although some may think that would cause me to lose weight, I gained some muscle on my legs and abs. I look meatier and that has not been a bad thing.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
FitDay Member

Well in my opinion protein is good for weight gain. Try to eat food which have lot of protein. Eggs, fish, meat and chicken all are best source of protein.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

Try some healthy fats too like avocado or nuts or seeds. That might add some calories. I think you should choose healthy foods. Healthy doesn't necessarily mean low in calories.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

As a previous poster already stated you need MORE PROTEIN in your diet. A good goal is .75 to 1.0 grams per pound of lean body weight. So for you at 129 lbs. and assuming 10% Body Fat your lean body weight is apprx. 116 (129 * .10 = 12.9) so a good daily protein goal for you is 116 grams. So why is protein important? Its a lot easier to consume sugary simple carbohydrates for calories, right? You have to eat protein to build and repair muscle because only protein has the amino acid building blocks neccesary. Carbs and fat don't.

You might want to consider moving to a 3 day split for your workout routine. That gives each muscle group one more day of rest and allows for you to work them even harder.
Lift heavy (adjust weight so you can perform only 6 repetitions before you can't do another or your form suffers) and do 3 or for sets for each exercise. Do core exercises like squate and deadlifts. These work your largest muscle groups and give you the potential to gain the most muscle. Check out Bodybuilding.com for 3 day split routines and other weight lifting information.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
FitDay Member

Wink

Originally Posted by micalhassi
Healthy goods are better to gain weight. Here are many foods like fish, meat, chicken, beef, egg, milk, supplements and weight gain pills. Regular work out for 30 to 40 mints is help to convert body fat into muscles mass. Try to save calories and take 1 hour rest after lunch. It is easy way to build and increase fat level.
Besides healthy food you will need to do some exercises. Everyday i will do yoga before my sleep and a good rest, so my body keeps healthier than before.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 05-28-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Links selling products are against the rules of the site
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

Eat those foods that are rich in terms of proteins. Try to save calories and eat 3 to 4 times in a day. Mostly use beef, meat, chicken, egg in eating habits. These are full of proteins. Also with that you have to do work out because work out help to convert these calories into strong body muscles.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:54 AM
FitDay Member

It's no mystery that a diet full of fried foods, giant portions, decadent desserts, alcohol, and sugary soft drinks will lead to weight gain. There are varieties of things working together that have resulted in the weight gain. Lack of sleep is one of the reason of gaining weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.