Notices

Guidelines for Carbs/Protein/Fats?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

Question Guidelines for Carbs/Protein/Fats?

Hello...

I am wondering if there is place on the forum or in Fitday that I might be overlooking. I see where Fitday will calculate carb/fat/protein percentages but is there somewhere to get a guideline to shoot for?

Also... looking for some good motivational / inspirational healthy lifestyle books.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

A common goal for carb/fat/protein is 40/30/30. Personally I find that my weight loss is much easier when I keep my protein above 30%. There are lots of old threads in the forums that discuss this. Another recommendation says .75 to 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body weight. I try to get my fat from whole foods like eggs, meat, nuts and olive oil and my carbs from complex carbs like oatmeal, whole grains and vegetables. So while I try to keep my protein at 30% I really don't worry about how my carbs and fats fill out the rest of my calorie intake.

While the 40/30/30 ratio is a good starting point it doesn't mean it is the best for you. Your body may react better to a slightly different ratio. My advice is to keep your protein up, maintain your calorie deficit and most of the rest will take care of itself.

Beside the success stories here on Fitday I find the Bodybuilding.com site to have some very inspirational stories. Especially the Transformation of the week archives (complete with pictures) there.

Welcome and good luck on your journey.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

One of the great things about FitDay is that you can use it with pretty much any eating plan. There is, though, no "FitDay Diet". It's up to you to decide what you want to do and use FitDay to help you do it.

As mentioned above, a 40/30/30 mix is pretty popular. I've had pretty decent success with it but everybody and every body is different and you might do better with a different combination.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you both. I'm doing good today. My fat is spot on, but lacking in the protein and over in the carbs. Doesn't surprise me though, I crave carbs. I will do better tomorrow.

Thank you once again.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, weghlesssoon, be sure to keep in mind the suggestions above that everybody is different. Try some different ratios and see what works best for you. Since you got two of the same answer, I thought I'd throw another opinion in there. I personally do much better with 50-25-25, but only hit on that after trial and error. Some folks have suggested that if you crave carbs, try cutting out grain-based carbs for a day or two to help with that. Good luck1
Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fat, Carbs, and Protein

Is there a standard to follow for a ratio of fats, carbs, and proteins in your diet?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

The short answer is no.

The long answer can be found here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...tein-fats.html

Oftentimes, questions have likely been answered before, so check out the "FitDay's Best of..." series and FAQ's (top of the Weight Loss section) for tons of info, all at your fingertips!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 AM
FitDay Member

thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default My Ratio

My ratio is:
Fat (mostly from animal): 60%
Protein: 30%
Carbs (from veggies and fruits only; no grains): 10%

I have lost 15 pounds this way. I also avoid all sugars (NEVER eat fake sweeteners), but for the occasional bit of honey, molasses, or real maple syrup. Very occasionally.

My weight loss is due to avoiding grains and sugars.

Last edited by cbgb2112; 03-22-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.