Notices

vitamin D and mushrooms

Old 02-18-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default vitamin D and mushrooms

I thought mushrooms, especially cremini and portobella, were a good source of Vit D but Fit Day has them with no Vit D? What gives?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

Checked a couple of other databases, webbia. None reported any Vit. D content for portabella or crimini shrooms... Looks like FD isn't too far off the track on this one...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by webbia
I thought mushrooms, especially cremini and portobella, were a good source of Vit D but Fit Day has them with no Vit D? What gives?
What gives is that unless you know the UV exposure of that mushroom, there is no way to tell how much vitamin D that mushroom has and how much of it you would actually absorb.

Just like humans, mushrooms need the UV exposure from the sun to get vitamin D.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

Mushrooms are a good source of D. Content does vary with variety and light exposure. This link All About Vitamin D | Mushroom Info has a chart taken from USDA National Nutrient Data Base.

Several producers now sell 100% RDA D mushrooms by flashing intense light on their products prior to sale. There is no harm to the quailty of the mushrooms.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default mushrooms and vitamin D

This is really interesting. Mushrooms contain 2 iu of vitamin D.
RDA states to get 600 iu vitamin D daily.

When you eat the white button mushrooms , they are white because they have never ever ever been exposed to sunlight.
The biggest manufacturing plant for mushrooms for the us is in Pennsylvania and just about all of the white button mushrooms sold in the USA are grown there, underground in an old mining cave.
If the mushrooms are brown, they have been exposed to sunlight.
I take a multivitamin and extra vitamin D as I don't mind going over the RDA limits from my research. It seems I get pratically no vitamin D if I eat just veggies and fruit that day.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
FitDay Member

A quick heads-up on the Vit D, which I read about recently on behalf of my mom (who's got a serious deficiency and osteoarthritis, and has continued to be tested as deficient despite taking synthetic supplements AND eating loads of fish & fish oil, etc.).

There are different kinds of D vitamins. You can get D2 from food sources; D3, technically, is a hormone, created in your skin as it interacts with UV rays. My understanding is that you can only get D3 from sun exposure. [edit: as VA girl has said here ]

(There's a bit of a controversy around sunscreen, for that reason.)
Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 PM
FitDay Member

I think milk fortified with D is your best bet. Most women need a Calcium & D supplement after age 30 or so. Need to prevent osteoporosis. It takes just a little sun daily to get D as well. You don't have to get tanned or burn, which is bad for the skin. Most of the diet shakes have about 25% requirementso that gets you part of the way there if you drink one of them.