Is This good or bad? >

Is This good or bad?

Community
Notices

Is This good or bad?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Default Hi Jacqueline...

So it seems as if everyone has given you thorough advice on eating...may I suggest changing your exercise routine if you haven't yet? Our bodies tend to get used to what we do and become more efficient, so the same exercise doesn't burn as much. Mix it up a little and see what happens .
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the fantastic suggestions and amazing support. I have listend and taken all your suggestions to heart.

Cassie, Thank you for the exercise suggestion (this is gonna sound bad). I haven't started an exercise program yet. I work 12 days straight, 10-12 hour days. I know I have to start, but I just can't seem to find the time. I go for walks on my weekend off, but thats not consistent. The lack of regular exercise is gonna be my downfall. I'm not giving up though. Thanks alot Cassie.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Jacqueline,

What do you do at work? I've known people who work desk jobs but take breaks by just getting on the floor for a set of push-ups or stretching for a couple minutes, or take a walk around the floor. You can also do this just before heading out for lunch. You can get a decent amount of exercise in this way and it will help break up the monotony!

-Nik
Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 PM
FitDay Member

Nik..No desk job here....I'm a Personal Support Worker in homecare. My job consists of travelling from house to house to take care of whatever needs my client has (ADL's, housekeeping, showers, meal prep etc...). Usually, other than the driving part, my job is very physical. Oh yeah...I don't usually get a set lunch...it's whatever I can grab while driving between clients. (It used to be potato chips or fast food, at least I'm making healthier choices now)

My job is far from body friendly, and I was hoping that by losing the weight and strengthening my core, I could ease some back pain. I was thinking yoga, but I just have to find the time. I know the "time" thing sounds like a cop-out but my day starts at 6 am and usually ends anywhere from 6-9 pm (with this job, you'd think i'd be skinny as a rail) at which time I usually grab something light to eat then fall into bed (if I don't have a night class at the college from 6-10).

I haven't given up on exercise. I know I have to make the time to do it EVERYDAY. That's the hard part.

Last edited by jacquelinepaterson; 04-24-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Jacqueline, your schedule sounds really challenging. I know from my long days that the last thing I felt like doing sometimes was exercising...just another chore to put into the day. Now I look forward to it and just don't feel right if I don't do it.

My thought would be to start slowly and build yourself into it. Just like making small changes with food, do so with working out also. For example, pick 3 days and do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 at night. As the weeks go by, you could add in days and then gradually extend the time. There are some AM/PM yoga dvds out there that you may want to check out.

What works for me is to print out a blank calendar every month, look at my workload and other activities for the upcoming week (some days are busier than others), then plan out what exercise to do each day and for how long, usually working around how busy the day is or how tired I think I'll be. I put the exercises in the blank spaces for the days and stick it on the fridge, and I do it in pencil so I can change if something comes up. They say if you schedule it, you're more likely to do it.

I know it is hard and you have a brutal schedule. But if you can do it long enough to develop the habit, you won't look back!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie, I will pencil it onto me desk calendar here at home and maybe that will help and hopefully, like you, it'll become a habit and I just won't feel right without doing it. Gonna go buy a yoga video today. I do think I would like something I can do at home. God bless everyone that likes the gym, but I'm not one of them. And you hit the nail on the head...it just seems like another chore. Thanks again...When your all alone, it's very easy to get discouraged. It's great to have people to talk to and get advice from.(People that "get it") Thanks