Notices

Is This good or bad?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Question Is This good or bad?

Hello everyone.,

I was makeing my food plan for my workout today.

and I'm new to this site to. I'm eatting 3,654 Caloire a day on workout day and rest day 2,600-2,800. So I was looking Nutrition I'm trying to make sure this is safe about Sodium it say it at Sodium 6,422.5 mg 1,500.0 428.

So do 6,422.5 is caloire and 1,500 is mg? the 428 was green.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

It means your sodium intake is 6422, and the 428 is the percentage of sodium. It means you are over your safe and healthy sodium intake by 328%. I think the 1500 is the amount of sodium you should be getting per day.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

Ok there something not right that i'm doing with the adding. so it look like i was adding it up wrong. because I add up all the food that had sodium in it. and how much I eat it. I add up it at 1,370 so I seem to be fine. I workout last year for 6 month and I was fine.

this where I add up the sodium from butter,chicken breast,ground beef,peanut butter,turkey bacon,Wheat Bread.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation

Commercial Salt
The salt that you find in table salt and most processed foods is sodium chloride. Salt in this form has been processed at high temperatures, which changes the molecular structure and removes vital minerals from the salt. Table salt also contains additives, anticaking agents, and even sugar. Excess salt consumption is associated with high blood pressure, fluid retention, heart and kidney disease.
(Also check what salt is used in the preprepared foods you are eating, and what is done to the salt and the food insided processed foods)

Trash It: Dump out your salt shaker and toss out all other packaged or processed foods with a high sodium content. This should be pretty easy for most people.

Stash it: We have been told for years to avoid salt, but following this advice can lead to even more problems. We are all salty on the inside--our blood, sweat, tears, and even our urine--it's all salty. It's important to replenish the salt in our body, using the right salt is what makes all the difference in the world. The best way to put salt back into your body is to use Celtic sea salt. This high quality salt contains over 80 balanced minerals from the sea. Celtic sea salt is essential for maintaining proper fluid balance and utilization in the body. It also normalizes blood pressure, enhances digestion, and nourishes the adrenal glands. Celtic sea salt is available at many natural food stores or can be ordered through The Grain and Salt Society.

Kristine

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting. I was always curious to see how much sodium I was supposed to be getting per day. Thanks for the insight
Old 04-15-2010, 05:10 AM
FitDay Member

I have a question about fibre. I am eating 900-1200 calories a day. I feel healthier and more energetic than I have in 10 years, I eat very little processed food and I make sure the calories I am eating pack a wholop. Here's the problem.... no matter how much vegetable matter I eat (and it is a lot), and Benefiber I take, I've never been able to get my RDA of fibre over 50%. Even though my calories appear low, I am eating a pile of food, I'm always satisfied and never hungry. I don't want to have to increase my calories in order to get more fibre. Any suggestions on high fibre. (On yea, I do eat oatmeal for breakfast)
Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

You should be getting around 25g of fibre each day. Vegetables are a good source but you should try beans and pulses as a better source. Some beans are 30% fibre (broad beans). Nuts are a good source too, try eating the flesh from a coconut, its ~7% fibre - 100g of coconut = 7g of fibre. In Fruits Mango and Papaya are the best.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM
FitDay Member

@jacqueline,

If you feel healthier and more energetic than you have over the last 10 years, why do you feel you need the extra fiber? Fiber has two functions in the body:
1) Help clear excess cholesterol from the bloodstream (soluble fiber)
2) Help keep things moving in your intestines (insoluble fiber)

If you don't have cholesterol issues, you're keeping regular, and you feel great, I wouldn't worry about what the RDA for fiber is. One problem with RDA is that it assumes a standardized "American diet" and a similar body chemistry for everyone. If you find a diet-lifestyle combination that works for you, don't feel pressure to change it.

-Nik
Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post back. Your comments have been very helpful. I was told I could increase my weight loss by increasing fibre intake. My weight loss has stalled over the last couple of days and I don't know why. Although the dietary changes I made are for life, I still also have a goal I must meet. Any advice on how to get my weight loss revved up again?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
FitDay Member

I would not advocate any form of drastic change due to your weight loss slowing for "a couple of days". Your weight will fluctuate due to many things on a daily basis including how much water you might be retaining.

It's possible that you are eating too few calories. I know that this sounds counter intuitive but your body will start to burn muscle instead of fat if it isn't getting enough calories. Muscle consumes more energy so if the body can burn some it will preserve itself. 1000 calories of muscle burn will weigh a lot less than 1000 Calories of fat burn so burning muscle will slow down your weight loss. Eating just a few more calories might get you back into balance and start burning off fat instead. For me (and it seems from comments, this goes for others too) a calorie balance of more than around 1200 calories per day can lead to the body going into preservation mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.