Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Nutrition & labeling
Question about Macro Nutrient ratios >

Question about Macro Nutrient ratios

Community
Notices

Question about Macro Nutrient ratios

Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
FitDay Member

If you need a protein hit, you could consider protein shakes. There is info on other threads on here about the different varieties, but the bottom line is that they pack in the protein without too many calories. For instance, a half-pint of my shake gives 20g of protein for 100 calories with only 1 or 2 g of fat & carbs.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

That would honestly be ideal. I'm supposed to be taking in 1300 calories minimum but am finding it hard to get over the 1100 mark without blowing the ratio. And honestly, it's too much food for me. A shake would be a good snack if I could find one that has the nutrition you've presented.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 PM
FitDay Member

They're easy enough to find online. I'm in the UK and use discount-supplements.co.uk. There's bound to be a similar site wherever you are. Or you could search out the big suppliers like Maximuscle or Sci-MX. Or even just Google "Protein Supplements"

Read up about the different type of protein and their different merits, shop around for the best price and voila!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Vinomadd
That would honestly be ideal. I'm supposed to be taking in 1300 calories minimum but am finding it hard to get over the 1100 mark without blowing the ratio. And honestly, it's too much food for me. A shake would be a good snack if I could find one that has the nutrition you've presented.
Bodybuilding.com has a multitude of these Protein shake powders available online with all the nutrition information. I actually purchase mine from the local Walmart, (BodyFortress brand).
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I'm constantly trying to adjust my ratios to something more 'Zone Like.' If it's any consolation (probably not), it is very difficult. Adding protein means adding fat, almost always. I end up relying on egg whites and fat free cheese, etc. to add in protein. Lean meats - look for the leanest if you want to add protein without fat.

Carbs - pumping in carbs is so easy, it's pitiful. Almost all vegetables are carbs without fat unless you add fat (oils) to them. So I spend most of my time looking for ways to add lean protein. Fat just creeps in without any help at all. I gave up sauteeing things in a little bit of oil and only add oil (a little bit) to salad. In no time, fat floods my diet, with all the accompanying calories, without my even adding any! It's truly amazing.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

Vinomadd,

If you want some informative reading on diet, training and the body, visit bodyrecomposition.com.

First and foremost is protein. If you don't get enough protein, you risk losing lean body mass instead of fat and nobody wants that!

It can be hard to eat all that protein, which is why I keep protein powders on hand, although it is best to get it from real food.

Yes, Omega-3's are very important!

Most fibrous vegetables have few digestible carbs so eating plenty of veggies should not increase your carb intake too much. Just stay away from the "starchy" carbs (peas, carrots, corn, potatoes).

FitDay is a great tool to make sure you are getting your macros right once you know what is right for you, and bodyrecomposition.com can help you figure that out.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RENOAK
Vinomadd,

If you want some informative reading on diet, training and the body, visit bodyrecomposition.com.

First and foremost is protein. If you don't get enough protein, you risk losing lean body mass instead of fat and nobody wants that!

It can be hard to eat all that protein, which is why I keep protein powders on hand, although it is best to get it from real food.

Yes, Omega-3's are very important!

Most fibrous vegetables have few digestible carbs so eating plenty of veggies should not increase your carb intake too much. Just stay away from the "starchy" carbs (peas, carrots, corn, potatoes).

FitDay is a great tool to make sure you are getting your macros right once you know what is right for you, and bodyrecomposition.com can help you figure that out.
ditto on bodyrecomposition.com. It is perhaps the most erudite nutritional and fitness resource on the web - lyle mcdonald chairman of the board
It is a bit techie, but you can go as deep as you like or need to.

Funny, I am also finding my macros tend towards the zone, when attempting to:

1) average 1 gm protein per pound
2) average 500 cal daily deficit

I'm shocked no none has mentioned low or zero fat cottege cheese specifically
That is a mainstay for me. I mix it with a bit of fruit and/or yogurt for dessert,
pink salmon for a meal, and diced veggies for a side dish. It's a good 16g protein and 100 cals.

The pink salmon I use is tuna style, which is extra low-fat. Also a mild taste.
Less rank than tuna.

Tilapia is cheap - but it's also really high in omega-6 relative to 3. If you're trying to get o-3 from fish, not a great choice. But if you like it, sure why not.

Ditto everyone on lean turkey, turkey, chicken breast. Zero fat cheese on fibre crackers.

I don't avoid any food completely, just moderate. Rice, beans, potatoes, corn are ok by me. Certain days, workout days I do take in more carbs than others, but overall averaging the zone.

Cheers and good luck!

P.S. there is nothing magic about different macro ratios. Greater than average protein ratio tends to fill you up more, and is usually harder to eat than carbs so more satisfying. There is more energy cost to digest per gram though not a major factor.

Last edited by FutureizNow; 06-12-2011 at 02:11 PM.