FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Nutrition & labeling (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/)
-   -   Vitamin E, and maximum levels of nutrients (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/2110-vitamin-e-maximum-levels-nutrients.html)

mellinahuitema 10-05-2010 06:34 AM

Vitamin E, and maximum levels of nutrients

Hi everyone, two part question here. One--the only vitamin/nutrient I ever seem to be low on is Vitamin E. I heard that taking supplements doesn't give the same benefits as getting it in your diet, and I'd like to challenge myself by changing my diet to get more of it. What foods are high in Vitamin E? I already know about sunflower seeds but the calorie count of sunflower seeds is too high for the amount of vitamin E I get. Also, I'm mostly a vegetarian but I do eat fish and seafood.

Next question: I've been assuming that for the nutrition tab under the food log everything is meant to be a minimum amount except for sodium and cholesterol which you should try to stay under a maximum. But does it matter if, for example, I get 700% of my RDA of B12, or 300% of the RDA of manganese?

me2forever 10-05-2010 07:38 AM

Since I am Celiac I take mega doses of D. B6. B 12. along with Fish oil. Flax Seed oil. I take B in liquid and gel pills. And feel wonderful!

Wylie7 10-06-2010 01:48 AM

Unless you have health issues and as long as your overabundance of a vitamin is from food, I don't think you can get too much.

Here's some sources of vitamin E:
Vitamin E - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nru1286 10-07-2010 05:22 AM

boiled greens are a big source of vitamin E. Spinach, mustard, collard, etc. As long as they're boiled, you're good to go!

I ended up taking a supplement for most of my vitamins. Now I'm concerned that I'm taking too much; for instance, I'm now taking 400+% vitamin D. The vitamin itself reads in at 200%. is this okay? what should I be doing differently? Help!

tandoorichicken 10-07-2010 10:55 AM

Avocados are high in vitamin E. They also happen to be quite high in fat, which depending on your goals could be a good or bad thing. The good thing is that if I haven't been too active recently I can eat a whole avocado for breakfast and feel pretty satisfied until the afternoon. Even if I have been really active, the fullness brought on by an avocado will keep me from eating junk later on.

dan-anderson 10-07-2010 10:58 AM

The RDA for Vitamin D is being reviewed soon.

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D

It is suspected to need a huge increase upwards. The current one is 400 IU and is enough to prevent rickets, but is probably not high enough to provide optimal health for a population that is spending an increased amount of time indoors. Recommendations range from there up to several thousand IU.

So, I wouldn't worry about it - or at least I wouldn't worry about getting too much.

Low vitamin D is being found to be correlated with a high number of diseases/conditions.

Vitamin D Council | Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol