Notices

Protein

Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Protein

I read that your protein percent should be 2.5 times fat. Hope I asked that right?? My fat is too high according to that... I eat low carb about 45 a day but darn it fat seems high. Since I have to eat Gluten Free (have Celiac) don't know what to do.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about that. Good fats, like those found in nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc., are just as important to a balanced diet and to weight loss as is protein.

I know I always say this, but you can find anything anywhere on the internet or in an article or book to support any side of something. That's why it's good to look at many sources and go with the preponderance of the evidence. Also, to take anything you read with a grain of salt.

Just for grins, this site says the opposite of what you described...this one recommends fat being 2.5 times (about) the protein...

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com...les/foods8.php

Last edited by cjohnson728; 10-04-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks and congratulations on your weight . Looks wonderful to me......

I just was afraid I was eating too much fat - but it all comes from good low carb stuff.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

The fitness magazines and internet sites seem to think .5 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of LEAN body weight per day is the correct range. Some bodybuilding sources have indicated up to 1.5 grams per day for bodybuilders doing intense weight training workouts. The part most people get confused is using total weight not lean bodyweight. So for me2forever at 161 lbs and 30% bodyfat (this is a guess) her lean bodyweight would be 112.7 lbs. This would indicate protein intake of 56 - 113 grams per day.

I personally try to keep my protein at 30% of my total calories. I have never worried about the fat to protein ratio since I know fat is essential for your body (little things like nutrient transport and nueral functions) and my fat is from healthy food sources like eggs, meat, olive oil and nuts.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much that made sense!! I was trying to figure out lbs/klos ?? Felt like the dumbest thing this morning. Think I am pretty much on target now. Thought I might to eat a whole cow or tree....lol
Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

Apparently according to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (not sure exactly what org. that is from) you should get 10-35% of your calories from protein. Fat is always a higher percentage, the recommendation is that it be 20-35 percent of your calories, with carbs making up 45-65%. You can see there's a lot of wiggle room there, most people don't have to worry about how much they get of what, it's more about how many calories you eat in total that will really make a difference to your weight.

Most people get too much protein, not that it'll hurt you at all but just that you only need a certain amount unless you are a high-performance athlete or something. I think men need more than women, but 15-20% should still do for the average person. I am a vegetarian and I typically get 15-20%. (One day when I ate 3 one-inch cubes of beef to taste test a stew I was making for someone else, I noticed that all of a sudden my protein percentage went up from 15% to 30% of an 1800 calorie diet. This is why I don't understand people other than bodybuilders or elite level athletes drinking protein shakes, if you are a meateater you already get more protein than you use anyway.)

One tip to reduce fat if you still want to, if you eat dairy, switch to low fat or fat free dairy products. I only use cheeses with the lowest fat I can find in the grocery store. I don't notice that much of a taste difference, and they add almost no fat to my diet and yet add tons of protein.