Community
Notices

Nutrition Labels?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default Nutrition Labels?

I am a heath fanatic, and some nutrition labels like gum it will say, "Not a significant source of trans fat, sat. fat, etc."

I want to know if the product contains any of the nutrition listed. Like on some water bottles you will see the "Not a significant source..." thing on there.

Like on gum if the labels says "Not s significant source of trans fat" does that mean that the gum really has any?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

I means if there is any, then there's barely any. Definitely not enough to be contributing to the daily recommended value. I wouldn't worry about any ingredient that says *not a significant source.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

I've seen it on products that do not possibly possess any of these non-nutrients. Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. In order to truly know, you have to read the ingredients list.

If there are partially-hydrogenated oils or "shortening," then there is no trans fat in the food.

Saturated fat in trace amounts is not a big deal. It's not actually a huge problem in larger quantities either, as long as one does not go overboard with it.

With gum specifically, you definitely want to look out for trans fat, sugar alcohols (sucrulose, aspartame, etc), food dyes (these don't show up on nutrition facts, but they are definiitely something to avoid) and other preservatives.