Reporting Carbs and Sugars accurately >

Reporting Carbs and Sugars accurately

Community
Notices

Reporting Carbs and Sugars accurately

Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Reporting Carbs and Sugars accurately

Hi, labels seem to provide the additional breakdown of carbs - and I'm most interested in cleaning up the way I report sugar and sugar alcohol. Many labels that I see show "SUGARS" on the label. And FitDay has a spot to report "ALCOHOL" not SUGARS. Am I OK plugging Sugar values into Alcohol or is that messing things around? If so, am I distorting my nutrition report by not reporting sugars at all. If so where should I plug sugars into FitDay Foods?
Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
FitDay Member

FAQ's FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, Supporting Links & Tips
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. all Nutritional Labels show sugar as it makes up a part of our diet.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Tracking SUGAR

I would also like to track my sugars. I want to know my sugar grams in relation to carb intake.

also, I would like to track trans fats. FITDAY GET ON THIS! please
Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jbiletch
I would also like to track my sugars. I want to know my sugar grams in relation to carb intake.

also, I would like to track trans fats. FITDAY GET ON THIS! please
Unfortunately, I think trying to track trans fats is almost worthless. According to the regulations, there can be up to .5 grams per serving and they can still list it as 0 on the label. Food manufacturers are so savvy that they keep it at or under that .5 g and show the 0 on the label, knowing that the public is watching trans fat like a hawk these days.

You're better off avoiding products with partially hydrogenated oils than seeing a 0 on a label and thinking you didn't consume any trans fat. The way the system works now, you could, in theory, eat four different things over the course of a day, having 0 on all labels, but actually have eaten 2 grams of trans fat .

I also think (but don't remember the details) that naturally occurring trans fat is different in important ways from the trans fat that comes from partially hydrogenated oils, and that it's not as bad for you as the engineered stuff, but would have to look that up to be sure. But I am definitely sure that partially hydrogenated fats are the evil ones when it comes to trans fat, so if you avoid foods that list that ingredient, you should be good.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jskidmore
I would like to know the answer to this question as well. all Nutritional Labels show sugar as it makes up a part of our diet.
Vito's post contained the link to the answer.

Copied from the FAQ:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: There's no spot for sugar when I'm creating a custom food. Is sugar the same as alcohol?

A: No, it's not. Sugars and alcohol the same?

Q: OK, but WHY does FitDay not track sugar?

A: Sugar is already counted in the carbohydrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Can I track a custom nutrient such as fiber?

A: Yes. While in your Food Journal, select the "Custom Nutrition Goals" tab (just above the pie chart) then click on "Setup your Nutrient Goals" under 'More info'.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Counting sugar has always concerned me as well, considering that I'm a diabetic. In addition, I noticed that a lot of food labels list "Folic Acid", yet there is no place to list it when tracking foods on FitDay. Why?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

I agree would love to see a spot to add in the amount of sugar in foods