Notices

Determined to lose

Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Determined to lose

Hello everyone,

New to this FitDay website but looks interesting. I am determined to lose 22 pounds by the end of the summer and decided to log in what I eat and my activity levels so I can actually see what I am doing wrong or right. I have always been active (retired military) and starting gaining weight when I retired. I exercise 3 times and week and possibly may go up to 4. Not sure yet. I am not a candy, cookie or icecream person but I do love potato chips and that is what got me into this body... that and wine. I am limiting my wine intake to two glasses a week and have stopped eating the chips.... Boy was that hard. Any advice I can get from other members would be so greatly appreciated.

Last edited by semperfigirl02; 04-01-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by semperfigirl02
Hello everyone,

New to this FitDay website but looks interesting. I am determined to lose 22 pounds by the end of the summer and decided to log in what I eat and my activity levels so I can actually see what I am doing wrong or right. I have always been active (retired military) and starting gaining weight when I retired. I exercise 3 times and week and possibly may go up to 4. Not sure yet. I am not a candy, cookie or icecream person but I do love potato chips and that is what got me into this body... that and wine. I am limiting my wine intake to two glasses a week and have stopped eating the chips.... Boy was that hard. Any advice I can get from other members would be so greatly appreciated.
The only advice right now is to stick it out. Logging food for the first time can be a real wake up call.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Semperfigirl! As Mike says, logging EVERYTHING you consume really makes you accountable. I'm like you - sweets don't generally tempt me - but potato chips!!! I can easily devour a whole bag.

The logging really helps. After I've logged 15 min of exercise and see how many calories I've expended, when I go to reach for something to eat just because I'm bored, it really makes me think twice knowing that I have to log it in and that it will "undo" the exercise I just did.

When I crave a salty snack, I've been eating either kale chips or homemade cheese puffs. Trader Joe's and other places have kale chips - but I usually make my own - it's just baking kale in the oven - I use Melissa d'Arabian's baked kale chip recipe if you want to google it. You can change up the seasonings. I never would have thought it, but they're as satisfying as potato chips. For the cheese puffs, I take a slice of jack or pepper jack (the slices the size of American cheese slices) and cut the slice into 16 squares. Put a piece of parchment paper on a plate and put the squares around the outer perimeter of the plate. Microwave until they're lightly browned. It takes less than a minute - I just watch them and turn them off when they puff up and get crisp and a lot of the fat goes into parchment paper.