Notices

Need help shedding these last few...23 pounds!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default Need help shedding these last few...23 pounds!

I was fifteen years old and I weighed 165 pounds and my weight was escalating FAST. So I joined an aerobics class at school and got a treadmill and lost 20 pounds in the next year. Since then I have been trying to get my weight down to a respectable 120 pounds. I'm 19 going on 20 in just two weeks! I'm 5"1 and I weigh 143 pounds. I run at least three times a week for 30 minutes to an hour. I've been maintaining, not losing!!! It's so frustrating.

The trouble is every time I start a "diet" or a workout plan, I never find the motivation to keep at it! I'll lose three or four pounds, then say, "To hell with it," and end up eating a whole bag of Cheetos and not working out that day. I get so hungry with these diet plans that I end up binging at night, and especially on the weekends when I'm at home and we have a fully stocked kitchen. It doesn't help that I don't know exactly what to eat. I'm slightly anemic and so I get really tired quickly so I have to take iron supplements.

Here's the problem. I love food and I eat A LOT. Some of the things I love include pizza, pasta with creamy sauces, olives (not just a few, I mean like a whole JAR of olives), potatoes (chips, fries, baked), fried eggplant, pita bread, cheese! Avacodos, bananas, crunchy peanut butter, roasted chicken on rice with plain yogurt, Panda Express prawn and shrimp with chow mein, tuna with the full fat mayo slathered on, eggs, eggs, and more eggs...just to give you an idea lol.

I started doing a food log where I TRIED to eat healthy and within my calorie intake, then ended up failing miserably after four days. Darn you, bag of processed powdery cheese puffs!

It doesn't help that I live off of a student income from financial aid and a measly 280 dollars a month, most of which goes to fill up my car. I feel like I don't have enough money to buy healthy, quality food so I end up going for the cheap, horrible stuff. I also never have time to make 3 complete meals for myself so I end up snacking a lot. If anyone can give me some tips on these concerns, that would help.

I want to lose 23 pounds in the next few months, but my goal is to learn how to balance a healthy diet within a healthy caloric intake and find a suitable workout plan for me that doesn't just include running. I want to KEEP this weight off. But I'm struggling because I have to do this alone and I don't have the time or money to do anything fancy.

Please help me. After a million tries, I'm ready to have someone guide me. I'd appreciate tips on what to eat, recipes, links to websites on good, inexpensive food and workout plans, as well as step by step guidance on where to start. Anything will help!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

Hi FatimaAl, I know how discouraging it can be. Your list of favorite foods sounds like what mine used to be.

I've pretty much eliminated white flour and sugar products and white rice. I've mostly eliminated potatoes. I don't know if it will be the same for you, but I find that after a while, the cravings for those items go away (or at least lessen).

Processed foods are often not healthy, and are frequently the most expensive. Around here, I can buy a roast chicken at the supermarket for $5-7 dollars. Take the skin off and you have meat for 6 or 7 dinners (1/2 breast, 1/2 breast, thigh, thigh, leg, leg, & the rest). Buy some lettuce and vegetables, some brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and a carton of eggs.

Congratulations on sticking with your exercise program for so long. That shows you have a lot of determination. Just use some of that determination on mastering portion control. You will have lapses - I had a regrettable encounter with potato chips a couple of weeks ago. But just go on. That event is then in the past, just move forward, but try to analyze what went wrong and how to make yourself stronger in the future.