Notices

Newcomer in Need of Support!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Newcomer in Need of Support!

Hey everyone!

My name is Sydney. I'm 22 years old... 5'5," female, fighting to maintain a healthy weight. I've been everywhere from 115 to 150 lbs over the past four years, and felt most comfortable at 119. I'd like to get back to that weight in time for my college graduation.

I'd love to hear from anyone with tips, or anyone in need of a diet buddy! I've always found it's motivating to have someone holding you accountable!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sydney,

Welcome to the fitday forum!
So you have set a goal, that's a start, you just have to get the necessary things to reach that goal!
It goes without saying, you probably know about the good diet and exercise mix and what not, but it helps knowing why you have to avoid and take some things. Hope I can give you some insight on that as well as good advice.

Not sure what your diet is like but Ill give you the rundown on what has worked for me and I have known to work. To start, minimize starches, added sugars, and animal fat from meat and dairy foods. For rapid weight loss, focus on fruits, veggies, egg whites, soy products, skinless poultry breasts, fish, shellfish, nonfat dairy foods, and 95% lean meat.

Here are more tips:

Eat vegetables to help you feel full.
Drink plenty of water.
Get tempting foods out of your home.
Stay busy -- you don't want to eat just because you're bored.
Eat only from a plate, while seated at a table. No grazing in front of the 'fridge.
Don't skip meals.

Get vitamine C and Omega 3s(good kind of fats) onto your diet. They will help you burn calories.

Avoid white carbohydrates - bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. Eat proteins, legumes and vegetables. Eat the same few meals over and over again. You could mix and match from these groups.

You can maybe take one day off per week to indulge on food you may like.

Get at least 7 hours of sleep at night. People who get less than 5 hours of shuteye a night have higher levels of ghrelin, which increases appetite, and decreases leptin, the protein hormone that tells you when you’re full. Sleep is vital to keeping your weight in check.
If you want to do exercises, start by doing short, intense exercises that focus on full-body movements—like squats with biceps curls, reverse crunches, leg raises, fast crunches, sec lunges, mountain climbers, wide grip push up, reverse lunges, close grip push ups, cross crunches. Important thing is to do some cardio, like jumping jacks, rest for 30 secs, then do 5 to 6 of those exercises for 20-30 secs without resting in between them.

Thats basically it, you just have to make time to exercise, 20 to 30 mins is good. And maintain a discipline on your diet. Shouldnt be so hard for you to get to your goal. You keep that rhythm and youll keep in shape.

Hope thats some usefull info, cheers!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Sydney! Welcome. Come on over to the weekly motivational thread (a new thread for the week starts every Monday). Post your goals for the week and then report in on how you're doing. You'll get encouragement when you're having a tough time, and a virtual pat on the back when you're doing well.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ExercicePolice
Hi Sydney,

Welcome to the fitday forum!
So you have set a goal, that's a start, you just have to get the necessary things to reach that goal!
It goes without saying, you probably know about the good diet and exercise mix and what not, but it helps knowing why you have to avoid and take some things. Hope I can give you some insight on that as well as good advice.

Not sure what your diet is like but Ill give you the rundown on what has worked for me and I have known to work. To start, minimize starches, added sugars, and animal fat from meat and dairy foods. For rapid weight loss, focus on fruits, veggies, egg whites, soy products, skinless poultry breasts, fish, shellfish, nonfat dairy foods, and 95% lean meat.

Here are more tips:

Eat vegetables to help you feel full.
Drink plenty of water.
Get tempting foods out of your home.
Stay busy -- you don't want to eat just because you're bored.
Eat only from a plate, while seated at a table. No grazing in front of the 'fridge.
Don't skip meals.

Get vitamine C and Omega 3s(good kind of fats) onto your diet. They will help you burn calories.

Avoid white carbohydrates - bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. Eat proteins, legumes and vegetables. Eat the same few meals over and over again. You could mix and match from these groups.

You can maybe take one day off per week to indulge on food you may like.

Get at least 7 hours of sleep at night. People who get less than 5 hours of shuteye a night have higher levels of ghrelin, which increases appetite, and decreases leptin, the protein hormone that tells you when you’re full. Sleep is vital to keeping your weight in check.
If you want to do exercises, start by doing short, intense exercises that focus on full-body movements—like squats with biceps curls, reverse crunches, leg raises, fast crunches, sec lunges, mountain climbers, wide grip push up, reverse lunges, close grip push ups, cross crunches. Important thing is to do some cardio, like jumping jacks, rest for 30 secs, then do 5 to 6 of those exercises for 20-30 secs without resting in between them.

Thats basically it, you just have to make time to exercise, 20 to 30 mins is good. And maintain a discipline on your diet. Shouldnt be so hard for you to get to your goal. You keep that rhythm and youll keep in shape.

Hope thats some usefull info, cheers!
I think this is generally great advice and I appreciate you posting it.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that it's good to do your own research and tailor a plan that works for you, based on that.

For example, I pretty much follow the above, but I try to avoid soy because of the GMO issue, and if I ate the same few meals over and over again, I would have crashed and burned three years ago.

My bottom line...find out what works for you and do it. Find out what doesn't, and don't do that. But be honest with yourself about what works.