Notices

Pre-diabetic trying not to tip over edge

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Pre-diabetic trying not to tip over edge

I'm CJ and just trying not to tip over the edge into diabetes. Cutting carbs to the bone and walking like madwoman.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi CJ! I'm also fall into that pre-diabetic range. I'm guessing your doctor has you on oral medication, and you have seen your A1c. I'm on metforim, and my last A1c was 5.6. I also see a dietition twice a year. I test in the morning before breakfast and and two hours after dinner, twice a week. I could test once a week all day long, but I have found my lunch tests are really close to my morning test, and I'm told that's good. What has helped me the most on my journey in fighting this is: 1) keeping a food journal of what I eat through out the day, 2) doing my best to get 30 minutes a day of physical activity, 3) cutting out pop and drinking LOTS of water. I am now to the point where I can't drink more then half a can of pop. I have noticed I go about a month before I get graving a pop. 4) I keep on top of how much sweet treats I eat.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

She -- reluctantly -- gave me 4 weeks to see what diet and activity could do. I'm only testing once a day (first thing in the morning); I've been doing it for 4 days and the numbers have gone down at least 10 pts. every day. I quit pops cold turkey and eliminated all refined sugar and all refined flour and keeping carbs under 70 a day. I think it took this scare to get me off my fat butt and make changes that needed to be made anyway. I'm drinking tons of water and walking at least 30 minutes a day (though yesterday I walked an hour and 45 minutes.

All this should help my blood pressure, too. But if I have to go to decaf coffee, I may not be responsible for my actions.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

Wow! How do you manage 70 carbs a day? No matter how hard I try to relax when someone takes my bp, it's always 20 points higher then my self monitored readings at home. My heart rate seems to always be 110. Dr. is always telling me I'm really ticking away. Here's to hearing good news in the up coming weeks.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

I fill in with a egg white protein powder shake. It's really not that hard. Once refined sugar is taken out of the equation, the carbs fall away pretty quick.