FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   New to site, could use some help understanding using fitday log. (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/9152-new-site-could-use-some-help-understanding-using-fitday-log.html)

muaythai_fighter 02-17-2013 02:53 PM

New to site, could use some help understanding using fitday log.
 
Hey everyone I'm new here and got a couple questions in regards to using fitday log.

I don't quite understand using net calories and calorie deficit.

I'm an amateur muay thai fighter so I train 4-5x a week 2x day 1hr -2hrs each session. I also teach muay thai and do security as my part time job, so being active and walking alot also adds to my training regime.

I'm 5'2'' 7-8% body fat and weigh 123lbs.

Now I'd like to get to 120lbs and I've tried the fitday log and it says my body alone burns around 2250 calories.

Now with training I can burn up to 3000 calories plus I do my morning sessions on empty stomach as my own morning routine. So I guess on a given day I can burn anywhere from 3000-5000 calories.

I've logged in my stuff and im always on the negative in terms of net calories, and it says I should restrict my calories to around 1700 if I want to make 120lbs?

Does that mean I need to eat 1700 calories each day or does that mean I need to cut out 1700 calories meaning 1700- 2250 calories (days I don't train)
and 1700-5000 calories (days i train and work)?

kind regards

cjohnson728 02-17-2013 03:29 PM

I think it is saying that you can consume 1700 calories.

One way to look at it is this. To lose a pound, you have to burn approximately 3500 more calories than you consume. To burn three pounds, then, you need to burn 10,500 more calories than you consume.

If you want to lose those three pounds in three weeks, you need a deficit of 500 calories a day (500 a day times seven days times three weeks is 10,500). If you want to burn those three pounds in two weeks, you need a deficit of 750 a day; if you want to burn them in one week, a deficit of 1500 a day is needed.

Just curious, though, if you are 7-8% body fat, how do you know if you are burning fat and not burning muscle? It seems as if you don't have much fat left to lose.

muaythai_fighter 02-17-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 95782)
I think it is saying that you can consume 1700 calories.

One way to look at it is this. To lose a pound, you have to burn approximately 3500 more calories than you consume. To burn three pounds, then, you need to burn 10,500 more calories than you consume.

If you want to lose those three pounds in three weeks, you need a deficit of 500 calories a day (500 a day times seven days times three weeks is 10,500). If you want to burn those three pounds in two weeks, you need a deficit of 750 a day; if you want to burn them in one week, a deficit of 1500 a day is needed.

Just curious, though, if you are 7-8% body fat, how do you know if you are burning fat and not burning muscle? It seems as if you don't have much fat left to lose.

when im not getting ready for a fight i normally walk around 135-140lbs 10-12% bf..
....probably am burning muscle as well due to the amounts of cardio done when getting ready for a fight.

ive also checked my net calories and its always on the negative.... for example my calorie lifestyle burned is around 2250 calories and when i add my activity for the day it adds up, i would log in the amount ive eaten which is around 2000 calories leaving my net calories in the minus

01gt4.6 02-17-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muaythai_fighter (Post 95794)
when im not getting ready for a fight i normally walk around 135-140lbs 10-12% bf..
....probably am burning muscle as well due to the amounts of cardio done when getting ready for a fight.

ive also checked my net calories and its always on the negative.... for example my calorie lifestyle burned is around 2250 calories and when i add my activity for the day it adds up, i would log in the amount ive eaten which is around 2000 calories leaving my net calories in the minus

Are you trying to get down due to weight class? Are you trying to make weight for a fight in that class or trying to maintain that actual weight? In what kind of time period are you trying to drop the 3 pounds? I'm thinking that only consuming 1700 may be too little based on the amount of training you do.

Like Cassie said, usually a 500 calorie deficient a day will get you to lose 1 pound a week. However, as we know, that's just a rule of thumb and there isn't a one size fits all. IMO at you're body fat percentage you are burning calories much faster than the average person. I think unless, you are trying to drop weight quickly to make class, you could do a slight deficit and get there... assuming you log sleep as well.

Do you have a trainer or dietician that has you set up on a diet or are you doing this alone?

muaythai_fighter 02-17-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 95795)
Are you trying to get down due to weight class? Are you trying to make weight for a fight in that class or trying to maintain that actual weight? In what kind of time period are you trying to drop the 3 pounds? I'm thinking that only consuming 1700 may be too little based on the amount of training you do.

Like Cassie said, usually a 500 calorie deficient a day will get you to lose 1 pound a week. However, as we know, that's just a rule of thumb and there isn't a one size fits all. IMO at you're body fat percentage you are burning calories much faster than the average person. I think unless, you are trying to drop weight quickly to make class, you could do a slight deficit and get there... assuming you log sleep as well.

Do you have a trainer or dietician that has you set up on a diet or are you doing this alone?

trying to get down a weight class and maintain. i have been doing this alone. eating this low has also made me hungrier overall and harder to recover from my workouts

id also like to point out my body type is meso. pretty stocky for my height.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2