Notices

Is a single day of pigging out that bad?

Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
FitDay Member

Default Is a single day of pigging out that bad?

I mean come on, I think if someone is relatively active and eats healthy most of the time, an occasional (say once every 2 months) of eating alot of food in one day can't get someone overweight, unhealthy or fat.

I see people scringing and panicking all the time about eating something just once and think its rediculous!

What says ye? Would love to hear comments/experiences!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by blinkpro
I mean come on, I think if someone is relatively active and eats healthy most of the time, an occasional (say once every 2 months) of eating alot of food in one day can't get someone overweight, unhealthy or fat.

I see people scringing and panicking all the time about eating something just once and think its rediculous!

What says ye? Would love to hear comments/experiences!
I don't believe one day of eating a lot of food occasionally will make anyone get fat, either. For me, if I eat things that I don't normally have a lot of, or a lot of everything, then it's a matter of my body then craving more of it, which makes it harder for me to stay on track afterwards. In a sense, it's like giving an alcoholic just one beer. He'd go back to drinking after having that one beer because an alcoholic must abstain to stay living sober. Indulging in a lot of food in one day (and a lot of sweets and starches) for me is like giving that guy that one beer because instead of an alcoholic I'm a fat person addicted to food. That's my take on it anyways. I'm sure it is different for other people.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Lisa. While a day of overeating isn't going to spoil a diet, for me it's a downword spiral. I have a hard time getting back on track after I have eaten badly.

Jenn
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM
FitDay Member

My approach to dieting is that I can eat anything I want. Just not the same quantities I used to. Yes I ate a surplus of food on Thanksgiving, but not the enormous amount that I used to. I still ate Yams with Marshmallos and brown sugar, peach and pumpkin pie and of course turkey and all that stuff. Thinking about it though, this is one of the first Thanksgivings I wasn't miserable after eating.

I have some things I just stay away from. Coke-a-cola I used to drink 5 or 6 a day. Now I have one every couple of months. (One of my personal rules is don't drink your calories.) For me it is a personal choice of making better choices, limiting my calories and that means limiting my portions.

Many people have success scheduling a cheat day on a regular basis. That way they know if they want something in particular they can have it on their cheat day.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

My weight loss has been slow, but lasting, and I do not panic when faced with poor choice foods. For me, losing weight is simple math. I try to make sure my calories in each day is a bit lower than my calories burned every day, and over time the weight will come off. So when I know I have an event coming up that I will go over my weight loss allotment, I try to approximate how many calories over I went, and know that I need to either burn those calories off with exercise in the days that follow it, or cut back on some more calories over the next several days, to meet that number that I went over. And never forget to drink my water.

I'm diabetic and take insulin, so for me, I cant just work off 1000 calories at a time without refueling it back, my body cant handle it. Smooth and steady is my race, and I've had success with that.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

I have heard the advice before to have a "cheat day" once a week to "shake up" your metabolism and it sounds like a good idea. However, like Lisa and Jenn it does not work for me. If I give in to a junk food (mostly high fructose foods) I will start having cravings. Like an addiction. I think most people have their unique food issues that they have to figure out in order to know what the best approach is.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

The thing to remember is that those calories are the same calories that you eat other days. They are not 'weaker' calories or 'easier to forget' calories. Good thing to do is take the 3000 extra calories you had on that one day and spread them out over the next few weeks. Say you normally eat within a 2000 calorie limit... subtract 500 calories so that every day, you eat 1500 calories instead, for six days (6x500=3000); do you feel that is easy and you are comfortable with that? If so, then you have put that one day of indulgence into perspective. If it's really difficult to do that, then appreciate the impact of that one day.