Notices

dieting with allergies

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default dieting with allergies

Hi everyone. I am new here and hope to find the support I need. A little background: I am 53 years old and weigh 164. I have been dealing with some wide ranging food allergies for many years. I am hoping to get down to 140. Everyone says an event such as a wedding is good incentive. Well I have a son getting married next summer but the real incentive is the pictures from the wedding of another son this last July. I felt really good about myself and my dress through out the wedding. After pictures came back I was so disappointed! Why are we hardest on ourselves?
My son getting married next year is also my business partner. He has put on a lot of weight in recent years and is working hard to lose it now. he's down 14.3 pounds in 5 weeks. We are working together on it but I am only down .8 pounds! I am soooo proud of him but I fear that if I don't start losing he is going to give up because he feels bad for me. Trust me, as a mom I would almost rather he beat me at the scale each week.
So I am here to get the additional support of logging my food and exorcise and being accountable to all you fine people. I look forward to chatting and getting to know some new friends.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay and congrats on making your lifestyle change!

What are your allergies? Maybe we can suggest some good recipe/food ideas to help you along.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

The allergies are many and varied. nuts, tomatoes, rice and bananas have all sent me to ER. Others that cause a reaction but never critical include, beans, peas, most spices, whole grains, corn, coconut, to name some. I exist on meat, potatoes and some vegetables. I can eat white bread but not whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel. Vegetables are tricky, I can eat many in moderation but a plate of broccoli would cause me to break out. It's weird and stress increases my reaction. I take medicine everyday and carry an Eppi pen and have learned to live with it. Recipes are difficult since the spices are so uncertain for me. I eat no Mexican, Asian or tomato based items. Processed foods are hit and miss. I can usually tell with in a couple bites of something in it might cause a reaction. Most reactions are the form of a rash on my face but several times I have had life threatening reactions. I will always error on the side of safety.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome!
Are you able to eat sweet potatoes? Just thinking they would be a higher fiber substitute for your white potatoes and add some variety to your foods? Hopefully Fitday will give you the tools to track your calories and tweak you diet to be succesful.

Do you exercise? I am a big believer that exercise can be a big factor not only in weight loss but fitness and overall health too.