Notices

Hello there

Old 08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hello there

Hi all. I am am Aussie Mum. My mum is overweight and has been for most of her adult life and I was determined not to be. Unfortunately I am now, and according to my BMI of 31.6 I am in the obese range!

How did this happen! Just 12 years ago (at age 30) I was 52kg and now I am 84kg. I've had three beautiful girls in that time but after finishing breastfeeding my youngest I had got back down to 67kg. So to be honest it's only in the last 5 years that my weight has piled on. I've been wearing loose tshirts and track pants or elastic waisted shorts and skirts. I haven't been working since having kids and have been pretty much a homebody. My husband works away a lot and I am a shocking chocolate and chip snacker of an evening once the kids go to bed. My youngest daughter starts school next year so I'm looking at going back to work. Obviously none of the work clothes sitting in my wardrobe have a hope in hell of fitting me and realistically they still won't by next year but I'd like to have lost at least some of the weight before then.

I got really angry with my husband for "letting me get like this" but then realised I should have been asking myself how I let me get like this. He says he likes me better with "a bit of meat on me". I admit that I did look too thin at 52kg (although it is allegedly in my "healthy weight range" of 49kg-66kg)). I think I would be happy at 58kg (there is something appealing about being under 60kg). I have a bit more than "a bit of meat on me".

So I have a long road ahead of me but every journey starts with the first step. I was appalled when I calculated the calories I was consuming on a regular basis. On the first day of "trying to be good" I still consumed 2200cal when I am supposed to aim for 1360 to reach my first goal.

How do people get down to that level of calorie intake? Am I aiming too high too quickly?

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Hi there, and welcome to FitDay! I think a lot of us here can relate to letting our health and fitness get away from us, especially when we have children and/or busy lives in other ways. FitDay has a lot of tools to help you, so look around the site and also feel free to jump into any of the forums .

1360 is a bit on the low side, and I shoot for about 1300 a day when I'm trying to lose (I'm sometimes in maintenance, but not now ). It does take practice, and I agree that it's a tough switch to go to that from basically eating what you want. You might want to work your way down to that instead of making a big jump. Try changing one thing at a time, like changing chocolate and chips for fresh fruits and veggies, or eliminating calories that come from drinks. The more you log things, chat on here, and read others' experiences, the better you'll be able to plan your own nutritional course.

Also, the level of your calorie intake is determined by your goal and the time you set. If you don't hit that level, but still burn more calories through activity than you eat, you will still lose, just not at the expected pace.

Stick with it, get involved in the forums, and log everything. You can do this and you have a lot of support here !
Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much for that. I wondered why my dashboard was saying just under 2500 when it says 1360 to reach my goal! The 2500 is to MAINTAIN my weight (blonde moment sorry). I'll get the hang of this one day!

So even if I manage to reduce it to 2200 I should see some results over time. I definitely don't want to MAINTAIN the weight. I don't think I can give up chocolate altogether which I may have to do to achieve 1360. I'll just try to do a bit of replacing. I do love fruit so maybe I can do it! I think things will get easier once I start seeing some results.

Are we supposed to weigh ourselves every day or is once a week enough? I stopped weighing myself once I started gaining weight (ignore it and it will go away approach). I finally weighed myself again on joining FitDay, was obviously horrified (but not really surprised) but don't think that I could cope with the ups and downs of a daily weigh-in. I don't want to (and can't afford to) give up on myself.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM
FitDay Premium Member

A lot of people here weigh only once a week. I am sort of a nerd, and weigh every day and put it on a chart and take an average once a week and log that on FitDay - that way I see progress apart from daily fluctuations.

I think the trick to calorie restriction is to find a balance between too low for life satisfaction and so high that you don't see any visible progress. For me, about 500 calories under my maintenance amount gives about a pound a week of weight loss, which seems to work for me at this point. (I am a woman of 56 - before menopause I could lose quicker.)

Some of us find that the key to being satisfied with fewer calories is to restrict carbohydrates, especially simple carbs like sugar and white flour. For some of us, they are addictive, and trigger cravings for more.

Many of us also find it important to eat adequate protein (which varies depending on your lean body weight and exercise levels), and lots of varied vegetables. Many of us also find it very helpful to increase exercise. It allows you to lose with more calories, but more important it maintains or increases your lean body mass and helps with self esteem. And if you find something you enjoy, it gives something positive in your life that is "just for you" and not for family.

I agree with Cassie - browse the forum threads, and you will find a lot more tips and support. And welcome!

Jaime
age 56,
starting weight 190, now 166, goal 148
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

And I agree with Jaime. There is no specific number of calories you "should" eat, but a pound is roughly equivalent to 3500 calories. If you have a deficit of 500 calories per day (times seven days), you should lose a pound a week. Obviously, if you exercise, you will burn more calories, so you could eat more and still have the same deficit. If you reduce to 2200 and burn 2500, you have a deficit of 300 per day, so it will take you ~12 days to lose a pound, without added exercise.

One thing I do when I have chocolate cravings is to cut up some fruit on a plate and drizzle some chocolate syrup over it. It doesn't have anywhere near the calorie impact of a chocolate bar. Also, I personally don't believe in giving up anything completely (though it works for some), but I do plan for indulgences I take and make sure I can work them into my food log goals. Most times this works; sometimes it just ends up being a free for all and I try to move on the next day .

About the weighing, you have to do what's right for you. Some weigh daily, some weekly, maybe even monthly; some go by how clothes fit or the tape measure. There is no right answer; it's completely up to you and what works for you personally.

Good to have you here!