FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   What eating plan is working for you? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/8077-what-eating-plan-working-you.html)

meiza 08-16-2012 11:07 PM

What eating plan is working for you?

Hi I'm new here. currently at 215 lbs and want to get down to around 140.

What eating plan / diets are working for you?

Has anyone tried alternate day fast / intermittent fasting / eat stop eat?

:)

ahappieru 08-16-2012 11:17 PM

I have tried a few and none worked for me like calorie counting, exercise and drinking lots of water. Hope you find what works for you :)

Kathy13118 08-17-2012 03:41 AM

I do Weight Watchers. It's basically counting with fruits and vegetables (plain) regarded as free. It does require tracking.

I intermittent fasted for quite a while - about a year, I think (I remember discussing it with my doctor) and while I think it's probably healthy, it's not a weight loss method at all. I didn't gain, but it didn't effect my caloric intake either way.

JaimeMWS 08-17-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by meiza (Post 87658)
Hi I'm new here. currently at 215 lbs and want to get down to around 140.

What eating plan / diets are working for you?

Has anyone tried alternate day fast / intermittent fasting / eat stop eat?

:)

I am following the Protein Power plan, which involves calculating the protein grams needed to maintain my lean body mass, eating them spread through the day, eating lots of low-carb vegies, and greatly limiting simple carbohydrates. (No white breads or juices, for example.) And I am tracking calorie consumption on FitDay - which requires weighing portions of the more calorie-dense things so I can accurately track. I am also exercising - strength training to increase lean body mass and aerobic to consume calories and rev up my metabolism.
In a previous weight loss effort, I just cut calories, including protein, and ended up thin but flabby and gained the weight back because my lean body mass had shrunk. Hence my focus on getting enough protein. Also, eating adequate protein at each meal reduces hunger and gives me enough energy for the day.
I am finding that as I go longer abstaining from simple carbs, and practicing portion control, and exercising, I am feeling satisfied with fewer calories. At the beginning I was eating about 1700 calories a day - now it is closer to 1300. Of those, about 55 percent are from fat, 30 percent from protein and the rest from carbohydrates and one glass per day of dry wine.
I am 56 years old, 5'5", and a postmenopausal woman who presently weighs 170 lbs. (down from 190 when I started the Protein Power plan). Your own protein and calorie needs on this program would be different depending on your age, gender, and lean body mass. When I was in my 40's I could lose weight just reducing carbs, without counting calories or exercising. That isn't true anymore now I am in my 50's.
On my plan now I only lose about a pound a week (some weeks less) - but I am ok with that because I am building muscle rowing for 3 hours a week, and am feeling like I could live like this for the rest of my life rather than it being a "diet" that I can't wait until it is over. (I weigh every day when I first get up, and put it on a spreadsheet and calculate the week's average to calculate weight loss. This eliminates daily fluctuations.)

rpmcduff 08-17-2012 08:28 AM

Great post JaimeMWS!!!
I too have had success with an approach very similar to Jamie's. I believe that the weight/strength training should be an essential part of any program to get healthier, especially for women. I also visit a site called bodybuilding.com. If you look at the Women's Transformations stories you will see Jaimie's experience of being skinny fat, repeated over and over again.

If you diet without weight/strength training 50% of your weight loss could come from muscle instead of the fat you want to lose. As Jamie said, this causes your metabolism to drop and you immediately gain weight when you no longer have a calorie deficit.

JaimeMWS 08-18-2012 05:31 AM

Thanks, Ron! And thanks for the link to bodybuilders.com - I hadn't found it. I am NOT going to compete in bodybuilder competitions, but it is interesting to read the transformation stories. I think one of the psychological impediments to fat loss is resistance to becoming "smaller." I, at least, feel at some level that my social power becomes diminished when I am viewed as a "small woman." (My profession is one that traditionally was done only by men.) So I tend to stall when I lose enough to not be perceived as "fat" when wearing clothes. ("Fat woman" has no social power.) Focusing on building muscle and physical power counters that sense of diminution.

rpmcduff 08-21-2012 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by JaimeMWS (Post 87723)
Thanks, Ron! And thanks for the link to bodybuilders.com - I hadn't found it. I am NOT going to compete in bodybuilder competitions, but it is interesting to read the transformation stories. I think one of the psychological impediments to fat loss is resistance to becoming "smaller." I, at least, feel at some level that my social power becomes diminished when I am viewed as a "small woman." (My profession is one that traditionally was done only by men.) So I tend to stall when I lose enough to not be perceived as "fat" when wearing clothes. ("Fat woman" has no social power.) Focusing on building muscle and physical power counters that sense of diminution.

I had not considered the positive pyschological impact of weight training and its impact, especially for women. Now that I think about it I am not suprised at your view. I gain self esteem from not just my physical appearance but also because of my increased physical strength. Like you I will never compete, but I intend to improve my strength and physical appearance for the rest of my life. I can see where the improvement in physical strength could be even more important for a womans self esteem. When your physical size is deminishing your improved strength (along with your toned muscles) helps maintain your self esteem and feeling of power and ability. I hope some other members have a light-bulb moment from this idea also!