FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Greetings (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/8040-greetings.html)

mabyerly 08-12-2012 12:59 PM

Greetings

Hello-

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, so I'll give a little bit of my story.

I've struggled with weight pretty much since I was 4 or 5, so about as long as I can remember. I've had some success here and there, but at 24, I am frankly tired of fighting this battle and losing. What was worst of all was that after having made a commitment to being healthier, within three weeks I broke my leg while doing a service project, and that had me off my feet for a while. Luckily, I actually lost weight during that time. Still, I find that I tend to want to use that as an excuse to not do as much as I could, though I do need to have some consideration but that will get better as I lose more weight. I know that there are a lot of factors outside of my control (my parents also both struggle with their weight and have fought the same battles) but I also know that I am the only one who can really make the difference in my own life and that I do have the choice to treat my body well. I have a strong faith background and am studying to go into ministry, so I have my faith to give me support, and I know that I will be more effective in ministry if I am healthier.

I wish everyone here the best of luck with reaching their goals, and thank you for the support as I work toward mine.

RunbikeSki 08-12-2012 06:33 PM

Welcome mabyerly,
I am so glad you found us. It is really about taking the steps you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the rest of you life.

Most of us start with little steps at first, things that are fairly easy to accomplish and make a habit (or break a habit) of. For lots of us it was increasing water consumption and decreasing soda (or in my case, ahem! beer :o). It will take several weeks of conscientiously remembering to drink water, but after a while it will become much more of a habit. Then move on to the next thing. Try your best to avoid getting impatient with yourself and the process. We're talking about long term changes, not "30 lbs in 3 weeks" and then back to the old habits.

FitDay will provide you with lots of tools to look at your habits closely, identify the ones that are not contributing to a health lifestyle, and then track your progress as you make the changes that will be with you for the rest of your long, healthy & happy life.

There is tons of wisdom, advise, and opportunity for the occassional rant here :D. So jump on in the water is fine.

rpmcduff 08-13-2012 07:26 PM

Welcome. Lots of good people here who would love to see you succeed and a wealth of knowledge from people like Pam in the previous post. Don't be afraid to ask questions or share your struggles.

Kathy13118 08-14-2012 01:04 PM

You say you lost weight after your injury. Look carefully and see if you can see how that happened. Whatever it was, you can use that experience - it was success, after all - as you go forward.